Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
from new i removed carb and capped mix screw with candle wax so when needed to adjust i just dig it out and it moves freely no build up of grime this is just a preventative measure not a cure for your problem i would not know how to get it out now you have taken head off unless you could drill it using small bits working your way up but make sure all is clean before rebuild!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
You have`nt ruien it waterboy. Stop trying to dig it out you can find a tap for it but you need exsperiance on taping im not that great but for this i leave it up to a shop. Not a atv shop they charge to much or wont be able to do it instead look in yellow pages for all major citys around you look for machine shops / automotive machine shops/ automotive shops Some one should work magic and get it out without buying new carb. Let me know what happens save you some money

·
Registered
285 Posts
As mentioned above. Which way on the mixture screw richens the mixture. Also which clip setting on the main jet richens the mixture? Both of these would be helpfull for tuning purposes.

To be honest, I'm trying to figure out how to get enough fuel to run with the lid off on my bike. At the moment it back fires a little bit if I take the snorkel off and horribly if I take the whole airbox lid off.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i put new jets in on one side but the other side had two that stripped

and now i cant get the bottom off to change the other jet in the carb

is there any trick to get off the screws off once there stripped

thanks eric

·
Registered
373 Posts
gobeer net said:
As mentioned above. Which way on the mixture screw richens the mixture. Also which clip setting on the main jet richens the mixture? Both of these would be helpfull for tuning purposes.

To be honest, I'm trying to figure out how to get enough fuel to run with the lid off on my bike. At the moment it back fires a little bit if I take the snorkel off and horribly if I take the whole airbox lid off.
i have the same problem witch way do u turn the mixture screw to make it run richer

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
stripped screws need a screw extractor (drill bit w/reversed threads).

·
Registered
373 Posts
another question..... i got everything runin good :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

exsept my rap is runin lean up top and i know how to adjust the a/f mixure

BUT is there any way to adjust the a/f mixure without taknen the carbs off

can i adjust em like that or no?

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
fast rap said:

You can try, most of us do then give up. Usually the screwdriver is too long to get wedged underneath the carbs.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Maddog56 said:
fast rap said:

You can try, most of us do then give up. Usually the screwdriver is too long to get wedged underneath the carbs.
y not use a 90 degree angle screw driver

·
Registered
440 Posts
my buddy has 04 raptor 660r he has fmf pipe slip on kand n air filter. 145 and 150 main jets. he put a high flow alumunium air box on and it is popping and cracking and backing and dies at 3/4 throttle and up. he did not changethe pilot jets. they are still stock. i think that is his problem. what size does he need to go with. the 22.5 is what the ones he has now. thats what it says on the side. is there any thing else he needs to do?

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
raptsson said:
my buddy has 04 raptor 660r he has fmf pipe slip on kand n air filter. 145 and 150 main jets. he put a high flow alumunium air box on and it is popping and cracking and backing and dies at 3/4 throttle and up. he did not changethe pilot jets. they are still stock. i think that is his problem. what size does he need to go with. the 22.5 is what the ones he has now. thats what it says on the side. is there any thing else he needs to do?
What's the alitiude?

Stock main jet sizes are 140/145.

~Brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Gents...
First timer.  Ok, I am in need of some carb help.  I installed the Dyno Jet Stage 2 kit on my Raptor 660 (2005), stuck to the manu. instructions exactly.  After I did the 3 turns, re-installed my carbs and fired it up... I cannot get it to idle correctly.  It runs and sounds great when the choke is on, but as soon as I take the choke off, it sputters and dies out.  I'm in Phoenix, AZ, don't know if altitude is the problem with the air/fuel mix, but the winter is going away quick.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

·
Registered
343 Posts
speed i'm guessing that you may have removed the lid and that is why you need the choke to richen up at idle. if not you may have an air leak. possibly when reinstalling the carb.

just guessing though.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
JL... I did remove the lid, but I don't know how to adjust it now.
Flyn... I'm really not sure. I think we may be below sea level or right at it. Seems weird though, because I can tune in the bike with the choke half way on. It's driving me nuts.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Speedygon said:
Sorry for the late response. I live in Gilbert, AZ. Thanks...
Williams Gateway Airport (which looks close to you) is at 1382 feet ASL. If you based the jets at a 3000 foot elevation like your friend said.....Your jets are WAY wrong! The Dynojet kit may not have jets large enough to support your aluminum airbox (It has no lid, right?)

If not, go to your local Yamaha store. Tell them you need main jets and pilot jets for a Mikuni 33mm carb. Buy a Mikuni 160 main jet for the left carb, a Mikuni 165 main jet for the right carb. Buy two Mikuni 25 Pilot jets, set your mixture screw to 2-2.5 turns from fully seated. It should fix the problem. You're breathing tons of air, and not getting enough fuel. If you replaced your needles with the ones in the Dyno jet kit, that setting should be okay. Total cost, about $8 bucks or less.

~Brian

21 - 40 of 309 Posts