Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Got a bone stock 2001 660. I am adding Barker dual exhaust, after market air box w/o lid. Upgraded air filter, and a nice aftermarket Jet kit!(Haven't decided which jets yet). My question is, which after market carbs should I use? I have the stock carbs on now (dual Mikuni BSR 33's.) To add, I don't plan to go into the motor at all really. So with no head or piston work, do you guys believe The Keihin FCR 35'mm's are going to be too much for a pretty much stock motor with bolt ons?

What are some other options if the FCR's are too much? Would modding the factory carbs be enough? And who makes a good kit upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Clear tube mod and a nice jet kit and you will be fine. The clear tube mod can be found in the stickys. I wouldn't drop the money on FCR's if your not going into the motor.

·
Master of the Electron
15,526 Posts
Stock carbs will do fine for your current plans, and way more. Just rejet to match your mods.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clear tube mod and a nice jet kit and you will be fine. The clear tube mod can be found in the stickys. I wouldn't drop the money on FCR's if your not going into the motor.
Thanks man. I'm changing your name to the RAPTOR DOCTOR:mad:

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Lol I'm no expert but I am learning.... Many hours on the RF a day will do that:lol: I should be working now but I'm paid salary not hourly so its all good:lol: When all my work is done I go home. Weather it be 2pm or 8pm....That is why I'm always on.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stock carbs will do fine for your current plans, and way more. Just rejet to match your mods.
Would you reccomend the clear tube mod witht he factory carbs? Also who makes some of the best jet kits for my bolt on mods?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Vitos is the jet kit that has been the most popular here lately as they have all the needed jets and needles and have them nifty screws as a freebie:lol: GYTR and Dyno Jet are also common but the Dyno Jet use a different jet sizing that is hard to compare to the standard sizing. I have used the GYTR and it as a good kit.

Clear tube mod is a free mod just takes time and is for the stock carbs. Its just setting the floats right. I have never done it but many claim its worth the time.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kool. It's good to know that I can make a cheap upgrade to my current carbs, and save $500-900 bucks. I just didnt want to go into the motor, and if the stock carbs are ok, that's good news.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
is there something covering your headlights x660x?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
those are pretty sweet. gonna check ebay for a set. bike looks great by the way

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Those are the GYTR headlight guards. Yamaha made them in a few colors, black and carbon fiber print I know, and I think they did either white, blue or red.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
thanks MD, i didnt know that. my ebay search didnt turn up anything but some ugly metal brush guard looking things.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I was thinking of changing mine for a new graphics theme, however, I haven't been able to find anymore. ANYWHERE!!!! Guess I'll have to break out the paint n primer!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Another good mod to help the stock carbs is getting rid of the air box lid, or drilling huge holes in the air box lid, if you get rid of the lid you must install an air filter adapter and a new style clamp on air filter. If you decide to drill holes in the lid, most of the lid can be opened as long as you retain the area at the mouth of the airfilter to hold the air filter in place, you will need to rejet all the jets, using an aftermarket needle about half way up and #25 pilots and 160 to 165 mikuni mains............:D

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another good mod to help the stock carbs is getting rid of the air box lid, or drilling huge holes in the air box lid, if you get rid of the lid you must install an air filter adapter and a new style clamp on air filter. If you decide to drill holes in the lid, most of the lid can be opened as long as you retain the area at the mouth of the airfilter to hold the air filter in place, you will need to rejet all the jets, using an aftermarket needle about half way up and #25 pilots and 160 to 165 mikuni mains............:D
Good advice WillKill, & thanks my friend.8)

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
jsanders347 - I have the Carbon Fiber headlight cover if you still looking. PM me and we can talk price and shipping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts