Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've got one that has me completely stumped here. My 2003 Raptor 660 sat for a year and a half due to a fun trip to Afghanistan, now I can't get her started. So I'm dumb and didn't preserve the fuel tank first so thats my first oops. Now I've removed the carb, cleaned it twice, found 1 clogged jet (Pilot jet) and put it all back together, I've drained the fuel tank, flushed it with fresh gas purged the fuel line to ensure fresh fuel to the petcock, and still she won't start. I've pulled the spark plug, cleaned it off, and tried it again and still nothing. When I try several attempts to crank and then I check the plug, it is dry which means to me no fuel is getting to my spark plug. I've never done carb work before, but i'm positive i'm putting everything back together right and doing it right. One thing I wasn't sure of, is do I have to prime the carburetor in any way? The second time I pulled the carb there was some fuel in the float chamber but not alot.

If anybody has any other suggestions that I can try I'm all ears. I've replaced the battery as well and the engine is turning over just fine at a normal speed it just won't start. I will change my oil before I ride it, but old oil wouldn't keep it from starting would it? The level is fine I checked that. . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you say you cleaned the carbs, i assume you cleaned the float needle in seat and checked for wear in the rubber needle? and i assume that all o-rings on the seats are good as well right? If you say you put everything back exactly the way it should and everything is within spec the problem is elsewhere. Have you verified you have spark? Old oil will NOT cause a no start issue but i recommend changing it anyway. If DO have spark then try spraying starting fluid into the intake and see if it wants to fire. If you do not have spark my next guess would be to try unplugging the rectifier under your left rear fender and test for spark again, If you get spark change out your stator. Let us know what happens

·
Master of the Electron
15,529 Posts
1) By all means, check for spark as above and if none, unplug the rec/reg to see if it returns. If you DO have spark:

2) open the carb drain screws to verify that fuel is indeed getting into the float bowls - if not, tank petcock, inlet screen, or supply line is plugged; or carb float valve(s) is(are) stuck closed.

3) spray starting fluid into the carb throats. If it tries to start then it is definitely fuel supply related - keep looking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
not trying to thread jack but im new and have no clue how to start a new thread.
Im having a similiar issue with my 01 660 with K&N filter setup dyna jet jet kit. I was out riding one day and the quad was running fine until all of a sudden i was mid throttle 3rd gear then the quad started to bogg way down,backfire, spit sputter and not run unless it was idling. Everytime i go to give it throttle it just wants to backfire and die. It keeps fouling plugs and with the air filter off i can see fuel pouring out of the carbs. Ive done countless hours of research and many weeks trying to fix this damn thing. Here is a list of things I replaced.

bypassed reverse rev limiter
unplugged PB rev limiter
New plug.
New (used) stator.
complete carb rebuild and floats adjusted by dealer.
checked valves.=good
compression check good
unplugged rectifier/regulator good
Has Healthy consistent spark.
New gas, flushed tank, checked petcock.
Ran with gas off till it died then it ran off Starter fluid Like a champ.
Is there anything im missing?
Im very frustrated and confused because yamaha says my carbs look fine, What do you guys think?

·
Master of the Electron
15,529 Posts
Hank, you use the 'NEW THREAD' button, top left of a section.

In your case, read 'Most Common Raptor 660 Problems Explained' - a sticky at the top of the General 660 Discussion section - and look for the parking brake switch unplug section for detail.

In a nutshell, unplug the white, 2 pin connector with 2 black wires in one side, and a green/yellow and black out the other side. The connector is hidden up behind the left headlight, near the radiator. This will unplug the PB switch and turn off the PB RPM limiter that has most likely come on because the PB switch has failed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts