Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2002 660. Started running bad like it’s not getting enough air. Take off air filter still ran bad took off boots that go from air box to carb and it started running great. When I put the boots back on it started running bad again. What could be the issue?

·
Master of the Electron
15,128 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Can you please tell me was it like when you got it, how long ago, what has changed and what has been done with it since - how long has it sat unused, what work have you done to it, etc... I want to know how it got to where it is!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!

Can you please tell me was it like when you got it, how long ago, what has changed and what has been done with it since - how long has it sat unused, what work have you done to it, etc... I want to know how it got to where it is!
Got it about a month ago. We have only added things like nerf bars handle bars and sand paddles. It ran fine was able to go wot and was fine. We get out to the dunes and then couldn’t go anything past half and it would start missing.
With or without air filter still acts up remove boots between air box and carb and it runs great, as fast as can be able to go wide open no problem. Minute you our boots back on it runs like garbage.
Thank you for any help!

·
Master of the Electron
15,128 Posts
So it suddenly started running rich (removing restrictions from the carb inlets make them run leaner). I'd look first at the slide guillotines - see if one is stuck open.

Also, is it leaking fuel out of the overflow tubes? If so, a float valve is stuck open and this will also make you rich.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it suddenly started running rich (removing restrictions from the carb inlets make them run leaner). I'd look first at the slide guillotines - see if one is stuck open.

Also, is it leaking fuel out of the overflow tubes? If so, a float valve is stuck open and this will also make you rich.
I will have to look at that. I do know the slides are working fine, they seem to slide fine when it’s off not sticking anywhere and when we started it they seem to move up and down fine.
I will need to look into the float valves. I do remember gas leaking from the tubes. But would that only happen when the boots are put back on?

·
Master of the Electron
15,128 Posts
No,. leaking float valves make the fuel level rise in the float bowl which makes the fuel/air mixture richer - removing the boots make it leaner - perhaps balancing out the over-rich from the float bowl problem.

Your symptoms are typical of being too rich. I'm trying to find the cause from the few pieces of information available... sometimes it's like trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle while blind.

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No,. leaking float valves make the fuel level rise in the float bowl which makes the fuel/air mixture richer - removing the boots make it leaner - perhaps balancing out the over-rich from the float bowl problem.

Your symptoms are typical of being too rich. I'm trying to find the cause from the few pieces of information available... sometimes it's like trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle while blind.
Ok that makes sense.
I’ll look at it tomorrow and report back. It’s had us scratching our heads for the last few days not knowing that it could be. It’s really weird

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it went into the shop here and they couldn’t figure it out(yeah not a good shop I guess). So we now have a new carb and you can go wot And it revs out fine but when you put it in gear and let the clutch out it wants to die now

·
Master of the Electron
15,128 Posts
Then take it back and make them fix it... you paid for a properly running quad and they took your money and agreed to make it so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts