Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have most tore apart.. i need to know why the pivot works kit comes with two of the needle bearing assy, and i only took out one frmo the carrier

now, this is what the kit came with, and what i have already taken out...

now, should this be all empty in here? as of right now, i cannot get the rest of the needle bearing assy from the passenger side (foot brake side) of the quad, and on that same side, there is another ?bushing? and it wont budge either. there is also the same one on the shift side of the carrier, it wont budge either.. now are those where the new gold looking ones go after i get these ones out? also, there appears to be a snap ring on the shift side. it is damaged and i cant really make out what it is.. the batt on my laptop died before i could grab a pic, but its on the outside most part of where it is on the inside, then the bushing, then the void between the two halves, then a bushing, then the needle bearing part. so, do i just not use the other needle bearing assy that came with the kit, or is this where my problem is for having about 1/4 inch of play in the entire carrier..

if i physically look on the inside, i can also "see" that the bushings on the shifter side are wallowed out drastically..

i also need to know the order of which these go back in to place... do a p-shop on the pics above or whatever and just mark them 1, 2, 3..
i cant follow the diagram in the manual, if its not wiring, i cant really decipher it to well

sry, i searched for quite a bit, cant find many writeups and the ones i did find didnt have any pictures... pictures are great..

thanks,
Hunter

·
Registered
559 Posts
check this one out too http://www.lsracing.com/img/Guide_25.pdf

11 BEARING 2
12 BUSH, SOLID 2
13 OIL SEAL (DC 22-28-8) 2
14 BUSH 1
15 BEARING 1
16 OIL SEAL 1
17 COLLAR 1
18 COVER, THRUST 2
19 WASHER 1
20 BUSH 1
24 SHAFT, PIVOT 1
25 WASHER, PLATE 1
26 NUT, SELF-LOCKING 1

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the links.. had a bit of a prob getting the nut off the G-Force axle, all this time i thought that was jsut a sticker on the axle, nope.. its an adjustable G-Force axle.. sweet.. i can add that to my sig.. finally after a search on here from the laptop in the garage yielded me the answer, and then all went smooth. until...........

i have everything out, except the last bearing.. i have discovered that it did indeed have, at one time, two of those needle bearign assys. when i removed the carrier and didnt see them inside i thought that the kit just came with two and the kit may have fit other quads with two.. not the case, the bearings were just that bad, all the needles fell out. the holes in all the bushings were worn so bad on one section it was paper thin, whereas the other half of the part was in spec.

is this going to happen again this bad? i mean they're prob still orig from 2001. that quad was wrecked off a cliff about 5 stories high, twice. then when i got it, i took a lil bit of a fall on it, nothin too major. What is the life expectancy of the carrier bearings if im just... easy on it.. i just go out to cruise.. heck, sometimes on roads just to go to the gas station to put in 93 from Sunoco.. i know the roads tear them up, but, like i said, i just cruise to enjoy the Raptor...

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
If you are having trouble removing the bearing race from the brake side tube, you can use a socket that is the same size as the inner diameter of the tube and a long extension. Take the socket and insert the long extension backwards through the socket so the flat side of the socket will contact the bearing race. Slide the socket and extension through the shifter side of the swinger tube and then insert into the brake side of the tube and hammer out the bearing race.

Your bearings should last for years, as long as you grease them properly when installing. If you ride a lot in water, I would pull the swinger off once a season and grease everything again.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I installled grease nipples on both sides, I now can grease it any time I want.............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts