Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my Raptor 700 last year...the original chain guard mounts were completely gone on it. I'd like to put a case saver on for obvious reasons....Any tips on what some of you guys did with this same issue?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
if u still have the pieces for the screws to go into than u can try to jb weld it. Otherwise u need to split your cases and replace them.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Broke mine clean last year. I'm not running a case saver anymore.. Next time it happens, I'll need a case... nothing much more I can do... :(

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Broke mine clean last year. I'm not running a case saver anymore.. Next time it happens, I'll need a case... nothing much more I can do... :(
Not even use an automotive metal resin and build it up and fab a peice to stick it with? That stuff is strong and sticks like hell when proporly installed. I used some on a cars gas tank and it dosent come off easily and would save the case im shure. Its some kind of silver paste comes in a tube and Crappy Tire sells it. Worth a try instead of losing your case!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Look up CN67 i think. He has a nice setup that he could market.

·
Registered
331 Posts
One of my screw mounts busted a couple months ago cause my dumbass tightened it to much. I'll have to try the jb weld.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Not even use an automotive metal resin and build it up and fab a peice to stick it with? That stuff is strong and sticks like hell when proporly installed. I used some on a cars gas tank and it dosent come off easily and would save the case im shure. Its some kind of silver paste comes in a tube and Crappy Tire sells it. Worth a try instead of losing your case!
I know the stuff... it's good in some situations, but like I said mine are broken clean there isn't much if anything to grab onto. I could probably stick the stock thing back there, but I doubt it would save the case if the chain was to break again.

I'll probably give it a try, but I don't think it'll work well if at all.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
just clean it real good before applying. And try to rought it up some so it catches solidly!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
You know you got me thinking. I think I'm just going to slap a thick coat of "Right Stuff" right over the whole area. If the chain ever bunches up again, the stuff will soak up the damage. Cheaper than a new case and "Right Stuff" sticks like hell, I know it won't come off easily or be affected by vibration.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I bet you could still use a UPP saver. It is formed to the case. You could probably just glue it to it. It doesn't use the mounting bolts to take the blow if a chain comes off. The truth is even with a case saver it can still ruin your cases. The chain will bunch up by the shift shaft and break the cases there, not to common but it happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys! Thats why this is my favorite site for information. You all have great ideas! I dont have any of the old parts from the original chain guard unfortunetely. The original mounts are pretty much completely gone...I bought it used and the damage was already done. CN67 i'd def buy one off of you if you get a chance to make one...I'd greatly appreciate it if you did. If not ill have to try some of the other guys ideas. It would just make me feel a little better if I had something there to slow the chain down if it ever comes off. Looks like CN67 has a great case saver idea:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts

I need to round up some aluminum soon and bust a few of these out. Ill try to get a couple made this wkend.
Thats freakin slick man. Ilove the idea. Thats really awesome!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just picked up some aluminum, Ill try to get one done this wkend.
Awesome! I think you need to start selling those...it seems like it would work better then just your average case saver. I PMed you..Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Yeah that's way badass.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks guys, it looks a little crude since I was grinding and cutting at home and re-welding at work. Had a dynojet quick shifter that was attempting to mount over the cover, thats what the extra tapped hole and notch are from. Now I at least have a template to go off of, so the new ones will look alot cleaner. If a guy wanted to, these could be powdercoated. Might see If I can make these out of billet alumn at work down the road.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Hey man i think it looks awesome the way it is now! Its going to get scuffed anyway but man that thing looks like it take on a tank. Have you tested it? does it stop the chain dead in its tracks?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Havn't thrown a chain yet, but I designed it to take the blow and its going to bend and possibly crack a weld. Its made out of 1/8" aluminum. Im using trim lock to add a little hard rubber padding between the case and the chain. So this should absorb the blow and not mess the case up or the frame where im bolted to. All I know is that this is better than JB welding the chain guard castings back to the engine lol. Also i am running a 15T front sprocket, dont think it will fit a 16T

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
CN67, let me know when you have one done, I would definitely buy one of these from you (so long as the price isn't astronomical hehe).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts