Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone seen this happen before? we slowly noticed the plastics warping around the gas tank and the cover. it finally moved enough to crack the gas tank cover piece, so we pulled it off to find this. any ideas?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Talljess said:
looks like vent tube might be clogged..ie gas is going out no air is coming in to replace the empty volume..just speculating..
I would have to agree, either your vent tube was kinked or you have a faulty gas cap. I replaced mine with a Tusk gas cap because the vapors were building up in my tank like the fuel was boiling. That was covered in another thread.No problems since :thumbsup:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Plugged vent would definatley be my first guess as well, especially with all the mud.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If your fuel pump serial # ends in -01 it's been subject to recall by Yamaha (the # is on the top of the pump). It was replaced by a unit with a check valve that allows air pressure into the tank. I think the gas cap vent only allows air pressure to be relieved to the outside (otherwise there wouldn't be any reason to put the check valve in the fuel pump?). I may be wrong, but worth checking into to get the dealer to repair as a Yamaha defect and related damage. Good luck!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I agree with others above. Heat wouldn't make sense as the heat source is underneath the tank, not above. Has it been running ok?

btw, if my ride was that dirty, I think my heart would have packed it in and quit! get that baby to a car wash 8)

·
Registered
882 Posts
I am quite impressed tho and curious that u never heard the fuel boiling..I am sure it had to under that kind of vacuum....hmmmm thinks I am gonna test this..oh and as to the previous thread about the boiling fuel I measured a 16in of water column before the fuel boiled at 60 degrees Farenheit..absolute vacuum is 29.62 inches of water column..so it will boil at a steady draw of fuel if no air is added to supplement the tank volume

·
Registered
882 Posts
Tiggyboot said:
I agree with others above. Heat wouldn't make sense as the heat source is underneath the tank, not above. Has it been running ok?

btw, if my ride was that dirty, I think my heart would have packed it in and quit! get that baby to a car wash 8)
it isnt a heat thing..water can boil at 70 degrees if the vaccuum is 26,4 inches of water column

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it ends in 02, but it runs fine.

we just noticed the plastics and all that shit warping. its been sitting for awhile since a huge mud trip. we will check the vent tube. thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats after we cleaned it..

it went for like 3 major mudding trips without being cleaned. it was ridden by a friend the last trip and overheated several times. i just hope the tank is all that he needs to replace.

i dont think the tank can be fixed short of replacing it. we let the pressure out of it and it didnt pop back out. the gas cap was tilted so severe with the plastics on, it bent forward and cracked the tank cover piece.

·
Registered
62 Posts
you are going to make your friend pay for the tank when it had two pryor trips to thr mud before him? mayme 33% of total cost because he didn't cause all of the problems. unless he was standing/sitting on the tank doing wheelies. just my .02

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you remove the tank, drain it, and then warm it up a little with a hair dryer. You might be able to pop it back out with compressed air if you can rig something up to get a good seal.

By warm it up I mean just a little. Piss warm. If you get it hot it will stay that way forever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.