Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Anybody using a CDI rev box in their Raptor 350 ?
Thinking of installing one in my 04 Raptor 350 and i was
wondering if anyone has any feedback !

Pros/cons

Cheers !
Phil

·
Registered
220 Posts
no i want to use one in mine to i just dont know how far it will raise the rev limit from stock, i shift mine at 9,000rpm. but its suppose to change your timing

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
a rev box wont do anything since the motors dont have a rev limiter. the only cdi that is worth getting is the programmable dynatech. you wont as much of a difference though if you have a stock motor

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went ahead and picked up an Alba Racing CDI for my son's Raptor and my KFX ...
All it does basically is advance the timing for better low end torque according to Alba.

Anyhow,the price was right, $70.00 dollars each and any little advantage a 350 can benefit from is welcome !
For what it's worth,i installed a +2 degree timing key in one of my snowmobiles, AC ZR 900 and it does make a significant difference in a two stroke engine,so i'll have to wait and see what it will do to a stock Raptor 350 with full Yosh pipe and Pro Design foam filter system !

Cheers !
Phil

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
oooo sorry to tell you but that ones a waste on these quads

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well,i installed the CDI box on the Raptor tonight and fired it up ... Didn't take too long for the head pipe to turn red hot !
It's a full Yosh stainless pipe,just wondering if that was normal or if i should go for a one range colder spark plug ?

Can't really go for a test ride yet,still too much snow !

Cheers !
Phil

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
The solution would be increasing fuel flow in the idle circuit, not changing heat ranges on a plug.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mad Dog,

I have yet to install my #25 Pilot jet,i replaced the main but the dealer didn't have the Pilot in stock at the end of the season last Fall when i did the Yosh pipe and air filter changes ...
Tonight's garage project,will update !

Cheers !
Phil

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
I understand that problem, they never seem to have the jet, or part for that matter, in stock when I need it :lol:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally swapped the 22.5 pilot jet for a 25 but still have an issue with the Yosh head pipe
getting red after idling for a few minutes.
Is this an issue with the head pipe being stainless and absorbing more heat than a stock steel head pipe ? I reinstalled the stock CDI and it seems to be the same as the aftermarket one ...

Cheers !
Phil

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Ever get the jetting issue figured out? Also if you got a chance to try it out, what do you think of the Alba CDI? I was looking up CDIs for my 250, and the main ones I found were Procom, Alba, Big Gun, and Dyntek. The Alba is the cheapest I found right before the Procom. But on the Alba it said something about Procom, like made by or something, and I haven't heard anything good about Procom. I was thinking about getting the Big Gun because I think they are pretty good and its about $40 cheaper than the cheapest Dynatek

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything seems in order now.I finally installed the 25 pilot jet instead of the 22.5 and the temps are within range.The throttle response seems to be quicker but we still have over a foot of snow so can't go for a full throttle test ride yet.
The CDI boxes i purchased from Alba are made by Procom and they have a knowledgeable and helpful tech department.I also installed one in my KFX 400 and Alba says they have good feedback on the units they sell !
Anyhow for the price,$70.00 dollars you can't go wrong even if you gain a little improvement,as anything that can be used to upgrade a 350 is more than welcome !

Cheers !
Phil

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Finally swapped the 22.5 pilot jet for a 25 but still have an issue with the Yosh head pipe
Is this an issue with the head pipe being stainless and absorbing more heat than a stock steel head pipe ? I reinstalled the stock CDI and it seems to be the same as the aftermarket one ...

Cheers !
Phil
You think your pipes are hot?
Wait til they turn blue. :lol:

Attachments

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts

Cheers !
Phil
hot! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everything is back to normal now !
Although the first time i fired it up with the new CDI it became "VERY" red ... lol

Cheers !
Phil

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Everything is back to normal now !
Although the first time i fired it up with the new CDI it became "VERY" red ... lol

Cheers !
Phil
Ok, keep me posted on how you like it :D

You think your pipes are hot?
Wait til they turn blue.
Thats stainless right? How hot is that thing getting it turns those pipes blue? Or did you f with the pic? haha

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Yes I "f" with that pic but I have seen them way way hotter that just red...
I don't know HOW hot but a cig will lite on em or your thumb.. lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems like things are looking up ...
The digital infrared heat "gun/thermometer/sensor" gizmos are on sale for $29.00 instead of $89.00 at my local hardware store this week and i'm going to pick one up and monitor the head pipe temps with and without the CD box at idle and compare the difference !

Will keep y'all posted :)

Cheers!
Phil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts