Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a CDI upgrade for the Raptor 50.
I have a Pro com that raises rpms 1000 over stock but there has to be a better one out there without having to spend 2 or 300 dollars! :mad:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I looked all over for different options but finally paid $300.00 for one from Raptor 80 racing. I'll let you know if it was worth the money after this weekend. We'll be in Glamis from 23rd to 25th.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought my Raptor 50 CDI from procom for $129. RMStator has them for $109 and big guns for $139. I've seen them on ebay for $79 - $99. I just bought one for our Raptor 80 off of ebay for $99. I don't think the raptor80racing one is worth putting on the Raptor 50 (Raptor 80 yes). The procom, RMStator or big guns version already runs the engine pretty hard. make sure you do the slider modification. spend the difference between the raptor80racing CDI and the procom and get a set of wheel spacers for it. better yet get a set of ITP or equivalent tires and rims. makes a world of difference in the handling and ride. top speed after mods about 25 mph.

·
Registered
497 Posts
atvingnc said:
I bought my Raptor 50 CDI from procom for $129. RMStator has them for $109 and big guns for $139. I've seen them on ebay for $79 - $99. I just bought one for our Raptor 80 off of ebay for $99. I don't think the raptor80racing one is worth putting on the Raptor 50 (Raptor 80 yes). The procom, RMStator or big guns version already runs the engine pretty hard. make sure you do the slider modification. spend the difference between the raptor80racing CDI and the procom and get a set of wheel spacers for it. better yet get a set of ITP or equivalent tires and rims. makes a world of difference in the handling and ride. top speed after mods about 25 mph.
Have you tried the clutch modification fo rthe 50? I guess removing some of the ball bearings helps performance; I don't have time before this trip to try it though.
I did the slider mod and jetted it up (both main and pilot jet) and modified the thumb throttle to open all the way. Pro-Circuit pipe and CDI box too. ITP wheels all around with Haulers on the rear and Sand stars on the front. I put the 2 inch spacers up front and it lines up perfect with the rears (big offset on the rear wheels).
I did pretty much the same thing to the 80 as well.
I have high hopes for this weekend, hopefully the 50 has enough nut to push the paddles. If not, I'll have a cocktail and enjoy how nice it looks just sitting there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put the wheels and spacers and procom cdi (Raptor80Racing)on one machine and removed 8 balls from the clutch - it made a big difference! But now I bought a second machine and want to improve on the first one. I've heard that modifying the throttle really doesn't help unless you go all out with unlimited cdi, pipes, jet carb and open the airbox, let me know if you actually notice any difference. I had the spark arrester out for a while but that little 4 stroke gets annoying after awhile with kids flying around on it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
How long does it take to do the clutch mod?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clutch mod only takes a couple of hours if you haven't done it before - strongly recomend getting a shop manual for easier assembly.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks, did you do it at the same time as the other mods? If not, was there a big difference? It is the only thing I have not done yet but ran out of time before this weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually I did the clutch after the other mods because it would still bog down and not move in just an inch or two of snow! Iwould rather see it spin the wheels than just sit there and it really frustrates the kids if it doesn't move.
By doing this mod the engine revs higher before allowing the clutch to engage so it becomes much quicker off the line and won't get stuck going up an incline at slower speeds.
The guys at Rator80Racing can pretty much talk you through it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i just installed procom cdi mde for the 80 on the 50. by my spedo it went from 11.5 mph to 18.5 mph!

The rev limiter jumped from 8000rpm to 10600rpm!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Putter700 said:
i just installed procom cdi mde for the 80 on the 50. by my spedo it went from 11.5 mph to 18.5 mph!

The rev limiter jumped from 8000rpm to 10600rpm!
Is this safe for the little fifty?

Did you have to cut and splice the wires instead of a simple plug in CDI?

·
Registered
120 Posts
so far so good, yes you have to cut and splice.
fyi the rectifire uses the same plug as the 80 cdi. i cut the rectifier plug out and hard wired it back together. spliced the plug in the wireloom for the 80 cdi so i didnt have to cut up the procom cdi.i'm going to put it on the 80 when i sell the 50.

sorry it took so long to respond

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been doing alot a research on the performance of these Raptor 50's and there is not alot a success stories about the 80 CDI's being installed in the 50's. So I figured I would post my results to make it easier for others to make the decision.

We bought a 2008 Raptor 50 and over the past month I have done the following.
1. Cut the slider and throttle lever. (didn't notice any increase in power, but did die whenthe throttle was pegged from a dead stop)

2. Just installed the Procom 80 CDI (Wow, big increase in power, well worth it. Does still have a slight dead spot but no where near as bad as before.) This mod is just as easy as mensioned before. All the 7 wires on the rev box are a direct color match with the bike's harness. Just capped off the 2 on the bike's harness that were not used.

I am going to remove 8 of the clutch balls next (as soon as I buy a gasket) I think the extra revs before the clutch engages should fix the dead throttle from idle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally got around to the clutch mod.

I did d/l the manual for the quad but I think the did a few changes on the 08. Still very simple mod. I did find out that it was much easier to do with the quad on its side. Especially installing the 4 remainding clutch balls. I just removed the clutch pack as a unit, removed 8 balls and installed in reverse order. I didn't have to get a new gasket since the one that was on there is rubber.

Results: Just as I figured the dead spot when the throttle is punched from a dead idle is gone. I guess the little extra revs gets the air flowing before the clutch engages. Very Happy with the modification.

Next: Remove Exhaust cap on the end and replace it with one I bought off EvilBay and install new main jet & nozzle. Maybe put on 18" tire to give it another inch of ground clearance. My issue is if greater increase of the tires will result in an unacceptable loss of low end power

One thing I will add is that now my daughter, which is 6, is now using the throttle and the brakes as she should rather than just keeping it wide open all the time. It now goes 18.9mph (GPS).

·
Registered
199 Posts
I PUT A HOTSEAT PERFORMANCE KIT IN A POLARIS PREDITOR 50 AND IT DID REAL WELL. THEY MAY MAKE PARTS FOR THE RAPPY

·
Registered
88 Posts
I see this CDI for sale on ebay. Dynatek FS CDI Ignition Raptor/Grizzly/Badger 80 92-07. I emailed Dynatek trying to get some specifications on it. I looked on hotseat and it looks limited for what Yamaha parts they offer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
HENDRICK RACEING HAS SOME STUFF TO KINDA PRICY :eek:

·
Registered
88 Posts
just got this comment back from Dynatek about their raptor 80 CDI

The DFS7-18 is a relatively new part and has not been added to our website.
It has a modified timing advance curve to help the overall power delivery and has NO rev limit. Installation is as simple as unplugging the stock module and plugging ours in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts