Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the main difference between the stock cdi and the after market? and if you change it is there any benefit on a stock engine? and if you change it do you have to do anything else? thanks

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
what is the main difference between the stock cdi and the after market? and if you change it is there any benefit on a stock engine? and if you change it do you have to do anything else? thanks
There is no benefit from an aftermarket CDI, unless you have extensive engine mods............

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thats what i needed to know thanks bud

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
The only benefits you would probably see are rev limiter removed and reverse limiter removed. Probably not beneficial in most cases. However I do have an aftermarket 01 CDI if you wanted to buy one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought a Big Gun Over Rev CDI and it put a rev limiter on reverse so bad that I coudlnt even go in reverse. Barley hit the gas and it would bog down. So i removed it. I would like to re install it if I could have a normal reverse.

maxtrax what kind of CDI do you have?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine hauls ass in reverse and whats to flip over

·
Registered
197 Posts
mine hauls ass in reverse and whats to flip over
Do you have a Big Gun CDI? Mine with the stock CDI has a reverse thats way too fast. I was told its b/c its a 01 trans.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no mine is all stock to my knowledge

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i know its so fast i just keep clutching it i am scared to let all the way out the bitch my flip me over! lol

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I bought a Big Gun Over Rev CDI and it put a rev limiter on reverse so bad that I coudlnt even go in reverse. Barley hit the gas and it would bog down. So i removed it. I would like to re install it if I could have a normal reverse.

maxtrax what kind of CDI do you have?
Not sure the brand. It was in a raptor when I bought it and the guy had purchased it brand new. He had some other electrical issues and thought it was the CDI. I used it only long enough to test its functionality.

Edit: I did some checking and it is a Rick's CDI. PM me if you are interested and I can cut you a good deal on it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea i am waiting on tax time i am gonna get some itp wheels and tires

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i was thinking about changing front and rear sprockets to top end and adding nitrous!

·
Registered
197 Posts
i was thinking about changing front and rear sprockets to top end and adding nitrous!
Yeah maybe you can rig up fuel injection too....

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Early 01's had no reverse RPM limiter... if it worries you just stay off the throttle in reverse!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not sure the brand. It was in a raptor when I bought it and the guy had purchased it brand new. He had some other electrical issues and thought it was the CDI. I used it only long enough to test its functionality.

Edit: I did some checking and it is a Rick's CDI. PM me if you are interested and I can cut you a good deal on it.
Never heard of a Ricks CDI. Does it have a tach output?

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Dyna and Vortex are the only ones I know of with a tach output.

Rick's might be Ricky Stator? In which case I think it's a re-labeled Pro-Com box.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Dyna and Vortex are the only ones I know of with a tach output.

Rick's might be Ricky Stator? In which case I think it's a re-labeled Pro-Com box.
When I said Rick's I did mean Ricky Stator.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok so it's not a CDI then? What benifits will I get from a stator?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts