Raptor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I wanted to share my experience with Cerakote. Three years ago a 2006 raptor was given to me. She was in bad shape. The photos below don't really show the fine details of neglect lol. Things like stripped oil drain plug, axle rusted solid to carrier bearings...you get the picture. So I decided to do a complete restoration. With the Coof hitting soon after I ended up having plenty of free time to get it done. There wasn't a part on this machine I didn't put my hands on. I even had to replace the wire harness.
While I had her completely tore down I wanted to get some things powder-coated. Well.......turns out shops around me are very very proud of their coatings (as they should be) but it wasn't going to fit into my budget. So I researched other options and decided to cerakote the frame and other parts as well. I already had a cheap little media blaster -not a cabinet, just a little portable unit. I ended up coating the oil reservoir, swing arm, hubs, front brake reservoir, calipers, the frame and other little parts. I used the "air cure" cerakote and sprayed it through a $30 harbor freight Gun. Prep work was everything. Plus I sprayed it in summer so the cerakote would cure out properly. After 3 years and many rides the coating is holding up great. I was worried about it
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
chipping as it's very thin compared to powder-coat but it has proved to be very durable. Anyway...this is a great option for the DIY'ers out there. Can save you a ton of money. Blasting media, cerakote (burnt bronze & flat black) spray gun I was into for around $200.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is great! I had seen it used mostly for firearms and always assumed a guy needed an oven to cure it like Powder-coat. But as I researched deeper I found out they make the air cure coating. I knew I had to try it out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts