Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the gain of ceramic coating? and just to let you know i got an 05 660 and im lookin into getting the curtis sparks big core exhaust (will get into the engine adventually)

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
There isn't really a gain in performance. The big change with them is the temp of the exhaust pipe. I had jet hot coat my bare stainless standard sparks 6x. The header would glow for the first 6" or so. The temp would be around 500 deg F.

I got a new sparks 6x big core bare stainless. It gows clear back past the engine. It has a temp of 650-700 deg.

It really cut down the heat. It keeps the heat traped in the pipe.

Jet hot advertises a 200 deg drop in pipe skin temp with their sterling.

They advertise more with the extreme sterling. The extreme sterling can with stand a higher temp before it dulls. It is also supose to insulate better.

Originally I believe atv exhaust mfg's offered ceramic coating so they could build a header out of mild steel, wich is a cheaper material. When I bought my first sparks 6x you had the choice of ceramic coated mild steel, or bare stainless. The prices were the same. I wanted a stainless header so I bought the bare one and had it coated. I believe that sparks now sells / uses only sainless, which is why the ceramic coated pipe costs more.

My new 6x Big Core is at jet hot right now getting coated with extreme sterling. It is going to be 165 for the coating and probably 30 bucks for return shipping.

www.jet-hot.com

Josh

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There isn't really a gain in performance. The big change with them is the temp of the exhaust pipe. I had jet hot coat my bare stainless standard sparks 6x. The header would glow for the first 6" or so. The temp would be around 500 deg F.

I got a new sparks 6x big core bare stainless. It gows clear back past the engine. It has a temp of 650-700 deg.

It really cut down the heat. It keeps the heat traped in the pipe.

Jet hot advertises a 200 deg drop in pipe skin temp with their sterling.

They advertise more with the extreme sterling. The extreme sterling can with stand a higher temp before it dulls. It is also supose to insulate better.

Originally I believe atv exhaust mfg's offered ceramic coating so they could build a header out of mild steel, wich is a cheaper material. When I bought my first sparks 6x you had the choice of ceramic coated mild steel, or bare stainless. The prices were the same. I wanted a stainless header so I bought the bare one and had it coated. I believe that sparks now sells / uses only sainless, which is why the ceramic coated pipe costs more.

My new 6x Big Core is at jet hot right now getting coated with extreme sterling. It is going to be 165 for the coating and probably 30 bucks for return shipping.

www.jet-hot.com

Josh
yeah i knew it wasn't performance but just wasnt sure exactly what it was or if its worth it to get ceramic over non-ceramic

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
It will look better and run cooler. Stainless tuns a dark brown when it is heated. My new sparks is almost black for the first foot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will look better and run cooler. Stainless tuns a dark brown when it is heated. My new sparks is almost black for the first foot.
yeah i dont understand why they use stainless. cuz in intense heat stainless does something called carbide percipitation wich makes it no longer stainless and the brown color is an indication of that happening so i dont get it.

im going to school in welding were not totally going into depth in metallurgy(study of metals) so im not totally positive why they use it..

·
Registered
75 Posts
With my experience in drag cars the biggest reason one ceramic coats the header is to keep the radiant heat temp down. it keeps the heat in the header. the second biggest reason i have had people ceramic coat headers is for looks. a ceramic coated header needs to be broken in. kind of like a new engine, but unfortunatly in the exact opposit way. you need to heat up and cool the header down several times. when done correctly the header will remain that color and that finish for longer then any other type of coating. (unfamiliar with powder coat).

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
yeah i dont understand why they use stainless. cuz in intense heat stainless does something called carbide percipitation wich makes it no longer stainless and the brown color is an indication of that happening so i dont get it.

im going to school in welding were not totally going into depth in metallurgy(study of metals) so im not totally positive why they use it..
Ever see an aftermarket mild steel header? After about the first 6 months it is already rusting.

I would imgine a stainless steel header that is carbide percipitation would last just as long and look better.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The reason for coating exhaust is to keep the exhaust gasses from cooling off and slowing down. HOT gasses move fast and suck exhaust out of the engine behind the puls. COLD gasses move SLOW and don't suck out an much exhaust.

A good example, ride your 2 strock into a lake, now go get a 4 strock. JOKE?
When the 2strok pipe gets wet and cold the exhaust pulse cools and shrinks and the engine wont have good power untill the pipe heats up.

ATV. Marty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts