Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im going to sell my raptor right after I finish changing out my rear brake pads. But I have a question first..... When I bought the raptor, the guy that I bought it from never had any sort of title (which isn't required in NC) or certificate of origin. He did have a "receipt" from the dealer showing how much he paid for it, but thats it. I have already called the local PD to triple check that the VIIN was good and the bike was not hot and everything is good. Its not stolen.

So....... am I going to have any issues selling this without the title or the certificate of origin? If so what would be the proper way to get a duplicate c.o.a? O and I forgot to mention that the guy I bought the quad from is deployed to Afghanistan at the present time so getting in touch with him is next to impossible......

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
I would get ahold of NC DMV and see what you need to do to get a certificate of origin. Because if you sell it to someone out of state they're gona need something to get it titled in their state.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I would get ahold of NC DMV and see what you need to do to get a certificate of origin. Because if you sell it to someone out of state they're gona need something to get it titled in their state.
That plus some places like atv offroad parks want proof of ownership to let you ride on there land. It may sound wierd but every place varies I've ran into that problem once luckily there was a buddy in area with a fax machine so I could get title faxed over so I could ride.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
That plus some places like atv offroad parks want proof of ownership to let you ride on there land.
Wow...that is going a little far, the only proof of ownership I carry with me when I ride is the key. :)

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Croom in Florida I had this problem had to have my title faxed to FLWOODSRAPTOR so I could get my sticker to ride just ask. I'm not lying or exaggerating one bit.

·
Registered
325 Posts
In California, our DMV has an "application for title" You fill that form out and with a bill of sale from the previous owner you can apply for a title. I don't know if you need the bill of sale but it makes it easier. You can't ride in California without proper registration.

Maybe your local DMV will have something similar?

·
Registered
615 Posts
i would check into it more. Regardless of what state an ATV is bought in it should come with a certificate of orgin, depending on the states laws as you said depends on if it would be titled or not.

I am not sure how NC actually works but if it is financed the finance company may be holding the title or certificate of orgin to prove their interest in the ATV. The receipt from the dealer will not necessarily show if it was financed or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts