Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a strange noise in my 700 when you lug it a gear to high. It's had to describe but sounds like something horribly wrong in the transmission when you lug it out of the bottom end. It's fine everywhere else, just a little grumpy when lugged? Do you think it may be chain slap or something??

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and I believe what you are describing is the chain slapping the plastic chain slider on the swing arm skid plate.
Brian

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good call, hopefully that's all it is.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Probably just needs to be adjusted a little. Maybe just tighten 1/6"

·
Registered
178 Posts
Diddly said:
I've noticed a strange noise in my 700 when you lug it a gear to high. It's had to describe but sounds like something horribly wrong in the transmission when you lug it out of the bottom end. It's fine everywhere else, just a little grumpy when lugged? Do you think it may be chain slap or something??
Transmissions are multipliers/divisors. If you are lugging the quad, the actual power that ends up at the PTO/primary will not be correct for the load. The power will pulse in an exaggerated power-on, power-off style, and basically you are hearing the driveline lash (the play in the driveline/tranny) being jerked back/forth and the chain tensioning/relaxing (aka slapping). Find an open, area and watch it happen.

Downshift, and get into the proper powerband for the terrain/groundspeed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yup, does the same thing and it is brand new. Phuzz sounds like he has an expensive education. Lot's o big words, but it sounds reasonable.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Mine does it to, before and after the buildup. Its the timing chain jumpin back and forth on the "power on/power off" as described before. No biggie :thumbsup:, just dont lug around, down shift that puppy ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
The 700 is a strong machine, but your riding style may come into play. Short shift in the trails. I ride in the eastern smokeys, tight trails....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Think Phuz is absolutely right, i had the very same, and it went even worse after changing sprockets to 16/36 (road use) It's a simple matter of downshifting timely!!

Must admitt its a strange thing, high torque at low rpm on one side, and the need to shift down in time on the other side.....

·
Registered
572 Posts
i know my stock chain roller makes lots of unwanted noise. even if i spray it with wd40 it will come back within 30 min. very annoying..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts