Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the noise from the chain roller the roller it self[bad bearing] or is it the shaft that it rides on to long?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just guessing, probably is a poorly lubricated bearing. Shoot some WD 40 in there and see if that quiets it down.

btw... sqeaking is caused by friction or some sort.

Frank

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no skidplate . it made the noise scince day 1..

·
Registered
314 Posts
unfortunately its a common problem. the rollers lock up solid and no matter what you do it will not move. only option is to buy a replacement roller, a good aftermarket one is the only fix most of the dealerships around here have found.

its a shame yamaha cant come up with a reliable replacement. that is the one and only complaint i have with my machine.

·
Registered
912 Posts
so i'm not the only one who was hearing this noise. At first I was worried because I thought it was something in the transmission but not I'm fine. I'll just soak it with wd-40 and run the hell out of it. 8)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i bought an after market with 2 bearings instead of one and problem solved. i think it was about $12.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hear noise too. It could be from the roller but it could also be from a loose chain. I thought it was something in the front of the bike but reading this makes me certain its from the chain. I was almost sure it was from the front wheels but it did it mostly when you let go of the throttle so which means the chain losens up and rubs along the skid and roller.

Ill check it better tomorrow.

·
Registered
314 Posts
cyprusrappy said:
I hear noise too. It could be from the roller but it could also be from a loose chain. I thought it was something in the front of the bike but reading this makes me certain its from the chain. I was almost sure it was from the front wheels but it did it mostly when you let go of the throttle so which means the chain losens up and rubs along the skid and roller.

Ill check it better tomorrow.
yikes!! if your chain is that loose you might want to check the pinch bolts are tight. from what i get out of what your saying if indded that chain is so loose it had enough sag to drag along the swing arm or worse yet to be sliping on the sproket.....holy tore up chain and sprokets :eek:

·
Registered
572 Posts
the roller noise scared me when it started. but wd40 solves it for about 2 hours and then its back. so i wd40 it all day and its queit.. its a real crappy sound it makes too.it had me worried til i found it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have the same noise. At firtst i thought it was in the tranny but found out the noise was the roller. What I did is use this stuff called polylube. when you spray it, it comes out as liquid so you can get in all the tight spots, after about 2 minutes it turns into a heavy gel. After that i havnt had a problem.

Reactions: Stu_Raptor700

·
Registered
751 Posts
Im not sure. I work for bmw so we stock it.. If you want just send my your address and Ill ship you a can. No charge. I get this stuff for free. Limited but a few cans wont hurt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts