Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for those of you who have some experience with Barkers Duals. I recently purchased a bike that has Barkers Big Bore duals on it and when going through the bike, I found that the chain had almost rubbed through the mid pipe on the left side.

So, my questions, since I`ve never had Barkers before, are: .....Is this a common thing with these pipes ?....and....what corrective action have others done to help eliminate or minimize this issue ?

I know adjusting up the rear shock preload and watching chain adjustment will help some...but, the rub was almost completely through the mid pipe and this concerns me for a whole host of reasons.

Any constructive help is appreciated...........Sandaddy 8)

·
Registered
448 Posts
They might not have been installed correctly, I don't have the big bores, but mine don't even come close to rubbing the chain

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They might not have been installed correctly, I don't have the big bores, but mine don't even come close to rubbing the chain
Yea, I don`t know if the big bores are bent different or not....but, I don`t see a whole lot of room to move the adjustment up any...Thanks

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Post a picture

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I have LTE duals, cant imagine them rubbing. Post pic's

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Post a picture
I can post a picture of the repair that cost me $40.00....lol...:eek:... They are off the bike now, but you`ll be able to see the repaired area and a little "skid plate" that I had fabricated to give me some safety from it going through the pipe.

On the bike, you would not be able to see anything, anyway, since it`s on the bottom.

~ Sandaddy :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have LTE duals, cant imagine them rubbing. Post pic's
I`ve had duals that were LTE`s and did not have this problem either...Of course my LTE`s were lot`s of fun to keep welding the mid pipe brackets, which kept cracking....lol.

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I had Big Bore Barkers and had no chain rub with a +6 Arm. I'd say problem is from installation..

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had Big Bore Barkers and had no chain rub with a +6 Arm. I'd say problem is from installation..
This one`s a +8...but, have you looked at the bottom of yours lately ?...lol J/K :D

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I know of one person who had his chain rub on his Barkers, but that was because his shock was a ZPS and wasn't set up for a +4 arm.

I had a set of Barkers on mine with a +4 arm and it wasn't even close to touching the chain. My shock was set up for a +4 arm.

Is your shock set up for a +8 arm?

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know of one person who had his chain rub on his Barkers, but that was because his shock was a ZPS and wasn't set up for a +4 arm.

I had a set of Barkers on mine with a +4 arm and it wasn't even close to touching the chain. My shock was set up for a +4 arm.

Is your shock set up for a +8 arm?

Just got it, Dave....but, I`m pretty sure it`s not "set-up" for anything, as it`s a stock resi...typical stock unit. When I get it out, I will check all the shock adjustments...and it probably has some sag, I`d imagine.....Gonna bump the preload and compression and get it up a little.

How ya doin` ?..... Ready to get back with us yet ? .....I still have that all pupose Z400 for sale....lol.

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I don't even think cranking up the preload is gonna help much unfortunately. I'd say at the minimum, get a stiffer spring in there.

Doing pretty good. Can't wait to get back to riding! If I had the money, I'd grab that Z400 off ya.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't even think cranking up the preload is gonna help much unfortunately. I'd say at the minimum, get a stiffer spring in there.

Doing pretty good. Can't wait to get back to riding! If I had the money, I'd grab that Z400 off ya.
Pm Sent :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
The chain will come very close or rub with Barker big bores, especially with bigger front sprocket and the rear shock link flipped and a heavier rider . I dont have to worry about the heavier rider but mine did barely rub with a 16 sprocket it is very close but I have 12 over arm fliped linkage and a short rear shock and it has touched before and I know my pipes are mounted right make sure the connection between headpipe and tailpipe is all the way up in the flange and make sure the spring is holding pressure and keep an eye on chain tightness.Also I bet your shock linkage is flipped to lower rear that is why it is rubbing. Monty

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The chain will come very close or rub with Barker big bores, especially with bigger front sprocket and the rear shock link flipped and a heavier rider . I dont have to worry about the heavier rider but mine did barely rub with a 16 sprocket it is very close but I have 12 over arm fliped linkage and a short rear shock and it has touched before and I know my pipes are mounted right make sure the connection between headpipe and tailpipe is all the way up in the flange and make sure the spring is holding pressure and keep an eye on chain tightness.Also I bet your shock linkage is flipped to lower rear that is why it is rubbing. Monty
Thanks Monty.......No, the link hasn`t been flipped yet...but, it has a 15 tooth front, so that could have contributed.

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
Don, on regular barkers you can twist the pipes as you snug them up. that lifts the pipe off the wires on top of cases. this might work with your exhaust too. It lifted mine 5/8". hope this helps. :D

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don, on regular barkers you can twist the pipes as you snug them up. that lifts the pipe off the wires on top of cases. this might work with your exhaust too. It lifted mine 5/8". hope this helps. :D
Thanks John....When I go to reinstall them....I`m going to try all the angles and such to try to bring them up higher....Just have never worked with Barkers before, so I`m trying to get other ppls input before I frustrate myself too much....lol.

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine rubbed when I first installed, bad enough that I could hear it whenever the suspension bottomed out. I have a lowering link on the quad, and was running a 15t front sprocket.

I used a chunk of wood to keep the header up over the starter as I tightened the header bolts and the silencer mounts (billet strap upgrade) and it bought me en extra 3/4" of room. Still rubbed with the quad adjusted down as low as I like it.

I switched gearing from 15/ 38 to 14/36 (7% over vs. 5.5% over) and raised the rear link up a bit to eliminate the rub. Gearing seems to suit my weight better, although I would like to be able to lower the quad back down to where I originally had it. I wish there was some kind of shield or reinforcement over the area to make sure it doesn't rub through.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts