Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you measure chain slack? I'm installing my new chain and the manual calls for roughly 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" of slack...

Do I set a straight-edge across the top of the two sprockets and measure down to the top of the chain or what? That's the only idea I could think of... but I don't know where to measure to.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I think your supposed to measude it halfway between the front and rear sprocket. I always just use a ruler and measure it from one point, then lift up the chain and measure it there and see if your within guidelines. Im sure there is probably a special tool for the job but I can find better things to spend my money on. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, that's what I thought it was... you're measuring the height from it sitting there to where you push it up to.

So if I used my method of a straight edge, I would just measure down and it should be half the spec, so like 3/4".

·
Registered
735 Posts
I just eyeball it. Some say to roll it back and forth until the chain is its tightest and then measure. But I feel you cant rely on that being acurate so why bother with a ruler. I bounce it up and down a few, wiggle the chain, if it moves too much, tighten it.

I get a kick out of the automatic chain adjustment on the 700raptor. loosen the carrier, put the tool in the slot and pull the bike back until the chain is tight....it gets too tight and as soon as you sit on it, jump it etc you streach the hell out of the chain.

Just grab it and wiggle it if it moves up and down ABOUT an inch...then you re alright

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's what I do too, I grab the chain with my fingers and move up and down, and guess at a inch to an inch and a half,
I just don't like it tight, then I think i'm streching it sooner that it will on it's own :thumbsup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I usually just go with what the manual says to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts