Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a need chain so i am thinking about a little bit of a gear change. I see that the 12/40 seems to be pretty favorible. I am also kinda concerned about top end. While i do not see top end alot i still would like to keep it up there somewhat. What do you guys recommend? Does the 12 front make that much of a noticable difference over stock. I am running stock tires. Also, if i were to not like the 12 would i have to completely swap out the chain to go back to a 13, or would i be fine just going with a lower tooth rear and shortining it up. TIA.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Do you ever exceed 65 mph? If not, then there's no reason to be concerned about dropping a tooth on the front or adding a couple to the rear on a stockish machine.

12/40 is the best setup for the vast majority of stockish bikes in typical conditions. But there's enough slack in the 92 link (oem) chain to go back to 13/40 if for whatever reason you decide it's not your thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot Maddog, i called Magic and they recommended for my condition a 14/40. I usually do most of my riding on county rodes ect. With some minor trails,creeks ect. The only thing is they didnt really seem to know this. So i will askyou guys. If for whatever reason i do not like the 14/40 setup what would be invovled to drop back to stock, or down to a 12? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
You can use a 14, 13, or 12 tooth front sprocket without any modifications, just some carrier adjustment.

If you're cruising or running wide open in upper gears all the time then 14/40 is probably a good setup for you. If you're just spending short spurts at high speeds I'd stick with the stock gearing. But for the cost of front sprockets, I'd buy a 12 and a 14 and play with them both.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea thats what i intend to do. The 14/40 set will be here tues. I dont spend much time running wide open or anything, but i do alot of road cruising. More than anything else, so i think it would better suit my needs, but thanks for the help Maddog i appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.