Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped out the sprockets today 12 to a 14 adjusted eveyrthing to 1 1/2 inch of chain play then went out and road tonight. When I came back its now 3- 3 1/4'' of chain slack..... Did I miss something that I usually dont? I have the 2 gold bolts in the carrier backed way out...out=looser? It woudl really help if someone could post up pictures

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Assuming that you've got the locknuts tight on the adjustment bolts they shouldn't have moved. The farther out they are the farther forward the carrier can move and the more slack you get in the chain. If you turn the adjustment bolts in so that you see less of the bolt it moves the carrier back and stretches the chain.

Also assuming you've tightened the carrier bolts (the nuts are behind the brake rotor) the carrier shouldn't move around much. Sometimes things can settle and need to be readjusted after a quick ride, especially with a new/newer chain, but after that everything should stay put if it's tight.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maddog56 said:
Assuming that you've got the locknuts tight on the adjustment bolts they shouldn't have moved. The farther out they are the farther forward the carrier can move and the more slack you get in the chain. If you turn the adjustment bolts in so that you see less of the bolt it moves the carrier back and stretches the chain.

Also assuming you've tightened the carrier bolts (the nuts are behind the brake rotor) the carrier shouldn't move around much. Sometimes things can settle and need to be readjusted after a quick ride, especially with a new/newer chain, but after that everything should stay put if it's tight.
Everything was definately tight. It is a new gold series chain but stock length, I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let ya know. Thanks maddog!

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
New chains stretch, it's what they do. Tighten it up again to the proper slack and ride around a bit more. Should be fairly consistent after a re-adjust or two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts