Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time changing the oil and filter..
The manual says 20W40 Yamalube, but I can't find anything that mentions an oil filter in here.. also I can't even find it on the ATV..
Does someone have a picture I can look at to help me out??
Also, any info on the oil filter?

·
Registered
227 Posts
if i remember right its on the left side of the motor hang on ima try and find a pic

·
Registered
836 Posts
honestly, I think the 20w50 is a waste. I use the Mobil 1 10w40 4T motorcycle oil in my Raptor. It's designed for motorcycle engines with the wet clutch and it works great. I remember using this oil to lubricate an old bolt on my gokart that wouldn't wan't to slide back into it's place. It's such a slippery oil and it makes a great lubricant. I've been using this oil in my quad for a while now, and I have absolutely no complaints about it, it's great!

As for the oil filter, if I were you I would buy them on ebay. Tusk usually has the 5 filters for 30 bucks deal, or you can probably find a 3 pack of filters for 15 bucks or something. really any filter is good, i've never really noticed a difference in quality or the performance of the filter between the different brands. I've used the OEM yamaha filter, the K&N filter, and i'm currently using an EMGO filter. They are basically all the same.

The oil filter is located on the left side of the crank case. It's held in by 3 hex bolts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Youtube

Go to youtube I believe there is a video there on how to change your oil/filter. Make sure you don't buy those cheap paper filters from ebay you are safer buying it from your local dealer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Place quad on level surface.
Start engine and let it warm up for several minutes
Stop engine and place oil pan under engine
remove dipstick
remove drain plug from bottom of case, take note of order of O ring, Compression spring and oil strainer.
Drain engine oil
When oil is draining, remove (3) bolts on small side circular cover to access oil filter
careful not to loose o ring on cover
remove old filter and replace with new one
Inspect O ring, if damaged, replace with new one
Apply a little bit of lithium soap grease to o ring and install new oil filter, o ring and filter cover
tighten down oil filter cover bolts to no more than 7lb's
After oil finishes draining from bottom install the oil strainer, compression ring, o ring and drain plug back on bottom of quad (put them back in the correct order)
Tighten down bottom drain plug to no more than 31lb's

Fill engine back up with oil through dip stick (approx 2.5 quarts), I use Valvoline 4 cycle oil
Check oil level and make sure its at proper level
Run bike for about 2 minutes, stop and check oil level and add if needed.

DONE.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Castrol SAE20w50 RS V-Twin 4T

Picked up some Castrol SAE20w50 yesterday.
Not sure if I should use this stuff, it's the Castrol Power RS V-Twin 4T. Can I get away with using this stuff or should I go swap it for some other 20w50? I just wanna do a quick oil change, have no idea when it was last done.
http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motorcycle-oil/4-stroke-engine-oil/power-rs-v-twin-4t.html
Im just gonna go ahead and use it I think, it should work just fine..
Any thoughts?
05 Yamaha Raptor 350

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
It says it's wet clutch safe, so you can use it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts