Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just when I thought going to a 12 tooth front sprocket was going to make my life better in the dunes, I pulled the cover off to count 12 teeth in the front, 40 in the back... The exact same gearing I planned to "upgrade" to with a new chain. I have sand shark 20x11x10 tires and they look much taller than my dad's Sand gear 20x11x10's on his 700. Taking off darn near on the limiter in 2nd dragging, it'll pull the motor down too far and I get beat off the line almost every time. Only way I could be competitive was to drag the clutch lever a bit until I got the RPM up. Also, I'm running 21x7x10's in the front if that makes any difference to anyone. Running the mods in my sig, what gearing would you guys recommend for a 265lb rider in sand? 12x42? Open to suggestions guys.

Thanks in advance!

Tony

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well, just when I thought going to a 12 tooth front sprocket was going to make my life better in the dunes, I pulled the cover off to count 12 teeth in the front, 40 in the back... The exact same gearing I planned to "upgrade" to with a new chain. I have sand shark 20x11x10 tires and they look much taller than my dad's Sand gear 20x11x10's on his 700. Taking off darn near on the limiter in 2nd dragging, it'll pull the motor down too far and I get beat off the line almost every time. Only way I could be competitive was to drag the clutch lever a bit until I got the RPM up. Also, I'm running 21x7x10's in the front if that makes any difference to anyone. Running the mods in my sig, what gearing would you guys recommend for a 265lb rider in sand? 12x42? Open to suggestions guys.

Thanks in advance!

Tony
You will be amazed with 12-48, I was.................:)

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
48 is a bit big on a 20" tire in the sand. Try 42 or 44

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I stuff a 44 on it, if it's too low go to a 13 front? Appreciate the input guys!

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Do the simple division -

12 vs 13 is 12/13 = 0.92 which says you get 9.2% less speed, 9.2% more torque than stock.

44 vs 40 = 40/44 = 0.91, or 9.1% less speed, 9.1% more torque.

So, 12 - 44 = 18% less top speed, 18% more torque than stock.

Going from 12 - 40 to 13 - 44 gains you just 0.1% (+9.2% with -9.1%) more torque than you currently have. The changes effectively cancel each other.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do the simple division -

12 vs 13 is 12/13 = 0.92 which says you get 9.2% less speed, 9.2% more torque than stock.

44 vs 40 = 40/44 = 0.91, or 9.1% less speed, 9.1% more torque.

So, 12 - 44 = 18% less top speed, 18% more torque than stock.

Going from 12 - 40 to 13 - 44 gains you just 0.1% (+9.2% with -9.1%) more torque than you currently have. The changes effectively cancel each other.
Great, that's what I was shooting for. If it's much too low, I can get back to where I am now and figure out how to 1. Lose weight (lol) or the preferred... 2. Make more power!

I'll give the 12/44 combo a try.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
LOL - I figure that, for me, losing weight would be the cheapest mod I could do, by far, to get a significant performance bump.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL - I figure that, for me, losing weight would be the cheapest mod I could do, by far, to get a significant performance bump.
I hear that. Dad wondered why I wanted a KX500 so bad. That's what I'll be riding in jawbone canyon this fall/winter. Will take the 660, but the 500 is a beast, even with my fat butt on it!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I should have added, With the 12-48 I used a 19.5 high tire on the RH rear................
I still could 80 mph at 9300rpm.......................

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Willy - Does that 48 rear fit under the skidplate or do you have to space it? I'm worried about ground clearance with that big of a sprocket! This quad will be used in the Mojave desert and at the beach/dunes.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Willy - Does that 48 rear fit under the skidplate or do you have to space it? I'm worried about ground clearance with that big of a sprocket! This quad will be used in the Mojave desert and at the beach/dunes.
The bike I used it on is the one in my signature picture, unfortunately you cant see it, but I didnt run a skid plate.
If I did it would have had to been shimmed down for clearance...........

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
If you go too big with the sprocket and shim it down to fit a skid over it then you're going to be dragging your butt all over the sand like a dog with worms on the carpet.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
If you go too big with the sprocket and shim it down to fit a skid over it then you're going to be dragging your butt all over the sand like a dog with worms on the carpet.
Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if dogs like it that, cause they sure do smile.............

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
While we're at it, I'll be the first to recommend a better tire too ;)

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What tire (besides haulers lol) do you recommend? I thought these tires were trash until they dead hooked. I can hit bowls and hammer it and pull the front end. Aren't worth a crap sliding the ass end out though, it pushes the front end something fierce.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want to do with them. If you're main concern is straight line racing and hill climbs you'll really benefit from a hauler. If you're more into carving up the dunes and want something that slides better look into the skat trak edge or, for a cheaper route, the itp sandstar. There are some good molded paddles out there, but the jump to a skat is noticeable and worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Got a 12 front, 44 back (spaced the skid plate) and got a new O-ring chain just to find it's a hair short with the adjustments all the way up... ugh... it came with a clip-style master link... How do I lengthen this crap a link?

Do I just use my chain breaker to get one of the center links off and use two masters? I hate this crap... I was really hoping it'd be just right but it's about half a link too short!

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
A 42 will just fit, fit sure on a 44 fitting under the skid plate.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A 42 will just fit, fit sure on a 44 fitting under the skid plate.
Yep, the 44 fits with spacers... it's what's on the quad... the chain is just too short. Should I just order a new chain and break it to length?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ordered another chain, this time with 98 links instead of 92. Should've thought ahead...

Thanks guys, will let you know how the gear change works in the dunes here in a couple weeks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts