Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blew my head gasket this weekend and overheated my engine. I'm wondering how I can check my stator, resistance readings etc...

It still runs, but right after I got back I checked voltage at the battery and voltage was 12.2 volts with it running. After it cooled down I started it back up and voltage was 13.3 volts, so some charging was going on but not were it should be (14.5 volts is what I was thinking). Turned my livewire whip on and voltage dropped to 12.7 volts, turned HIDs on and voltage dropped to 11.9 volts. So it is chargring somewhat but not really worth a crap.

Wondering if I can check the stator somehow, anyone have advice?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Blew my head gasket this weekend and overheated my engine. I'm wondering how I can check my stator, resistance readings etc...

It still runs, but right after I got back I checked voltage at the battery and voltage was 12.2 volts with it running. After it cooled down I started it back up and voltage was 13.3 volts, so some charging was going on but not were it should be (14.5 volts is what I was thinking). Turned my livewire whip on and voltage dropped to 12.7 volts, turned HIDs on and voltage dropped to 11.9 volts. So it is chargring somewhat but not really worth a crap.

Wondering if I can check the stator somehow, anyone have advice?
The manual gives you the resistance readings in chapter 8-43, you can download it here http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34 if you need it.

The stator outputs the voltage in AC, the voltage regulator/recifier converts that voltage to DC and regulates how much voltage is used to charge the battery. You can check the AC voltage between any of the 3 white wires coming from the stator at a given RPM but I am not sure what that voltage should be or at what RPM, the manual does not give that information.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The manual gives you the resistance readings in chapter 8-43, you can download it here http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34 if you need it.

The stator outputs the voltage in AC, the voltage regulator/recifier converts that voltage to DC and regulates how much voltage is used to charge the battery. You can check the AC voltage between any of the 3 white wires coming from the stator at a given RPM but I am not sure what that voltage should be or at what RPM, the manual does not give that information.

thanks for the info and the link. Will check it out before I yank the engine out for repair work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts