Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded for an 03 660 today and noticed the choked was tied back. When I untied it the choke moved to the right, the quad idles to fast and will not take gas. Carb? Jet? or does something else cause this?

·
VIP
1,064 Posts
The choke plungers are known to rust and stick on the 660's.

Remove the choke cable from the carbs, but be careful as the fitting is plastic and so are the threads.

I bet you will find the spring and plunger are corroded.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Sorry, but I don't think so - since moving the lever DOES make a significant change in the idle performance, I believe the choke plunger is working as it should - but the lever (on the bars) is not holding in place... and a pilot jet may be slightly plugged, requiring the choke to stay on some to idle properly (meaning clean the carbs!).

It's always a good idea to disassemble and clean the carbs when you first get a used Raptor (ONE AT A TIME - so you always have a reference) - they almost always need it after a few years... and you can check the choke plunger while you're at it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know nothing about raptors, I've always owned Honda and Suzuki. I figured it was the carb or needed re-jetted. But I appreciate any advice someone will offer lol. Is there any certain carb cleaner I should use on it?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I know nothing about raptors, I've always owned Honda and Suzuki. I figured it was the carb or needed re-jetted. But I appreciate any advice someone will offer lol. Is there any certain carb cleaner I should use on it?
Methanol or ethanol works great, you can purchase carb cleaner also, dismantle the carbs and clean all jets, pay attention to the pilot jet in this case since you have an idle problem...........

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Sorry QM, but NOWHERE in his post does he mention moving the lever changes his idle performance. :D
Following proper English grammer, with the following quote:

"When I untied it the choke moved to the right, the quad idles to fast and will not take gas",

The terms "the choke moved to the right", "the quad idles too fast" and "and will not take gas" are all dependant clauses - and are all dependant upon the statement "when I untied the choke". These clauses, if this sentence is syntactically correct, do not stand alone without the 'when'.

Therefore, according to the O/P, the choke moves to the right AND the idle speed rises AND it will not take gas - when the choke lever is untied. This is what the sentence says, whether or not it was what the O/P intended.

Forums put us in a not-so-ideal position of only being able to act upon what someone has written... and make us depend upon our hopes that he/she really means what was written and how it was written.

If the O/P did NOT intend to imply a relationship between the choke position, the quad's ability to take gas and idle speed, then your original assumption of stuck choke plunger could well be the case.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts

"When I untied it the choke moved to the right, the quad idles to fast and will not take gas",

The terms "the choke moved to the right", "the quad idles too fast" and "and will not take gas" are all dependant clauses - and are all dependant upon the statement "when I untied the choke". These clauses, if this sentence is syntactically correct, do not stand alone without the 'when'.

Therefore, according to the O/P, the choke moves to the right AND the idle speed rises AND it will not take gas - when the choke lever is untied. This is what the sentence says, whether or not it was what the O/P intended.

Forums put us in a not-so-ideal position of only being able to act upon what someone has written... and make us depend upon our hopes that he/she really means what was written and how it was written.

If the O/P did NOT intend to imply a relationship between the choke position, the quad's ability to take gas and idle speed, then your original assumption of stuck choke plunger could well be the case.
Quadmaniac, I just love it when you get so technical...........It's awesome.................:wow:

·
Registered
298 Posts

You Sir are AWESOME!!! LOL

·
VIP
1,064 Posts
The OP states that it idles high with the choke lever all the way to the right, which could mean that the choke plunger is hung up, causing the high idle symptom and the bog when he gives it throttle.:)

I was just giving him a possible remedy for his problem, since I have seen many 660's over the past 11 + years with similar symptoms and it turned out to be the choke plunger.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have also had a stuck choke plunger in the past...Do you guys use any type of grease during reassemble to prevent this problem?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Quadmaniac, I just love it when you get so technical...........It's awesome.................:wow:
And with FRENCH as one official language, I can understand how YOU'D be confused! :D

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
The OP states that it idles high with the choke lever all the way to the right, which could mean that the choke plunger is hung up, causing the high idle symptom and the bog when he gives it throttle.:)

I was just giving him a possible remedy for his problem, since I have seen many 660's over the past 11 + years with similar symptoms and it turned out to be the choke plunger.
And you could be correct, if one assumes that there is no change when the choke lever moves - not what his syntax implies... but could well be what he really meant. We won't know till he replies, if ever.

·
VIP
1,064 Posts

If you want to be "technical" then you will see that the OP does not mention how the quad runs with the choke lever tied back, so WE do not know how the choke lever positon effects his performance, as you say it does. :D

You are stating that you know it runs better with the choke lever tied back, but we do not have that info.

Maybe a little more information form the OP would help diagniose his problem better. :thumbsup:

EDIT: You posted while I was typing this. :lol: Now we both agree that we do not know how the machine runs with the choke tied off. :)

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Tres bien! Hey have you had an opportunity to go any further troubleshooting that skiploader?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Tres bien! Hey have you had an opportunity to go any further troubleshooting that skiploader?
Nope, its been too cold, I,m still pondering why the relay doesnt work with the key on.............:)

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
If you want to be "technical" then you will see that the OP does not mention how the quad runs with the choke lever tied back, so WE do not know how the choke lever positon effects his performance, as you say it does. :D

You are stating that you know it runs better with the choke lever tied back, but we do not have that info.

Maybe a little more information form the OP would help diagniose his problem better. :thumbsup:

EDIT: You posted while I was typing this. :lol: Now we both agree that we do not know how the machine runs with the choke tied off. :)

I was stating no such thing. I was stating exactly what his sentence said and how YOU misunderstood it, based solely upon syntax of the English language.

I have not said or stated anything that is incorrect in this thread... but have simply given you the benefit of the doubt if, and ONLY if, the O/P did not mean exactly what he DID write.

The absolute definition of what was written is irrefutable. The only question is whether the O/P has a good enough grasp of the language (as unfortunately many these days do NOT) to truly mean what was said. In order for you to be correct, the sentence structure has to be wrong. PERIOD.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
lol I'm back fella's just calm it down a notch. It runs and idles fine with the choke tied back (completely to the left) but it does smoke a little (black smoke). When untied (completely to the right) it idles too fast and when throttle is giving it bogs down.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts