Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The choke on my 350 doesn't stay out. It's kind of annoying because it takes two hands to start it. What piece makes the choke stick? I probably need one of those.

·
Registered
893 Posts
On a Raptor 350? Mine is cable operated. If yours is not cable operated, then I would say some parts are missing, or you have an earlier carb. Got any pictures of the carb and the choke area?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll get some soon, I was watching this video, and when he went to start it, he pushed his choke out a bit and it stayed in place. When I push my choke out it flicks right back to the right in the off position.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Sounds like the choke plunger in the carb is maybe frozen and the return spring is pulling your lever back. I worked on a Raptor 660 that was that way. That plunger if frozen is a pain to work loose.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is that plunger in the carb? I'll have it off as soon as I get my jets so I wanna see if I could fix that while my bike is disassembled

·
Registered
893 Posts

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
There is a spring behind the elbow where the cable goes into the carb, check that one, and the one in the handlebar assembly aswell.

·
Registered
893 Posts
There is a spring behind the elbow where the cable goes into the carb, check that one, and the one in the handlebar assembly aswell.
I have never been into the handle bar part on mine. I would bet the problem is with that spring. Especially since it sounds like the choke is working. On the 660 I worked on, the choke was stuck. I think cable stretching was what made it seem to pull back.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The choke works, it just doesn't stay out. I'll post a video in a few minutes.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here we go:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wow!! Something is missing or broken for sure. Mine stays wherever you put it and won't move till I move it. Should be pretty easy to disassemble that whole cable/controller setup and clean and inspect while you have the carb off.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What should I be looking for when everything is disassembled? Should I check that plunger?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Well I can't seem to find a parts breakdown of the lever assembly on the handlebars. Not sure what is inside it so don't have an answer for you.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, I'll take it apart and see.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Found it and it is pretty simple. I would say it is probably on the carb end of the cable. It is number 19-24 in the # 18 box in the blow up:

Choke lever

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, thanks, i'll take a look at it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know this is an old thread but does anyone know what the fix was.
I have the same thing on mine, like there's too much tension on the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi! Had the same problem, just use a little thicker washer under the lever screw, and the operation will have more friction = the arm stays in position.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts