Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a metal elbow that goes into a plastic nut where the choke cable goes into the carb.

That metal elbow is loose from the nut on my quad... is that right or is it broken? I can't seem to get the choke cable adjusted right.

I'm still battling the wierd high idle/hanging revs/black smoke problem. I turned the fuel screws out a half turn and it didn't seem to make much of a difference... but I haven't spent too much time working on it yet.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If I recall the elbow in mine is loose also. I've never tried to adjuist mine, I just check that it pulls in and slides back out as it should andlook for rust.
If your blowing black smoke shouldn't you turn the fuel screws in, not out?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think I may have been backwards. I'm going to spend the rest of the evening messing with it so check back in.

I didn't really try to adjust it, I was more or less putting it back together.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Let us know what happens after you mess with it. I believe in would be the right way to go like Firstraptor said. The black smoke may also be from your rings going bad. The reason you might have hanging revs is a gummed up carb or a bad throttle cable. Try lubing up your cable a bit and see if it helps any. My choke cable was the same way as yours. I've never had to use mine even in -5 degree snowy weather and I tried it one day when it was running to see if it even worked and it didn't change a thing.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I fixed the problem with the choke.

So now here is the state of my jetting:

When I rev it up, it stumbles a bit and then backfires as soon as i let off. Do I need to turn the screws in, or out?

I would test myself, but I'm out of gas and need to get some more.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have you read the jetting stickies? Those may help you more than I can.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think a stumble then a backfire means lean... so I'll turn the screws out a bit. I was running really low on gas though so hopefully that's not just because the carbs were running dry.

I don't really know where the screws are at right now, I've been tweaking them so much I lost track. I'm going to bury them and start over again at 3 turns out and see what happens. But the other problem is it's only going to get to 40 degrees today, I want it to be in the 60's before I start fine tuning, and that won't happen until next week. The last couple days were warm but now we're plummeting again.

·
Registered
604 Posts
listening. I have a heck of a time with my idle. Seems to rev up. And the choke don't seem to want to work at all.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
ceanern said:
listening. I have a heck of a time with my idle. Seems to rev up. And the choke don't seem to want to work at all.
These chokes are known for rusting up, also the plastic nut that hold it in the carb a very easy to break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts