Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! So, It's been a few years since i've been on here. I have been gone in Germany and Iraq. Well now im back home and riding my bike again. I was at Sandlake, OR. for the weekend and now i need to replace my clutch for my next trip to Florence, OR. Can anyone point me to some good clutches that are not to expensive? I was looking on Ebay and seen a Tusk brand for like 30 buck's. I was told by a buddy that EBC is a great brand. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
i have ran the tusk hd one in a few bikes and it works great. of course expensive ones can be better but we run big 4 and big 5 bikes all the time with them and no issues

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! But i was reading in another thread and one guy was saying he had a Tusk clutch and it went out in 24 hours. Im thinking he messed up somewhere. Anyways, Tusk is like 40 bucks off Ebay so that pretty cheap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I got with a buddy of mine and i guess his dad is like part owner of a shop in Oregon. He was telling me that GYTR clutch fiber's and "sand blast" the factory metal plates is the best way to go. So he got me the GYTR fiber's for 50 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Sand blast is a little extreme, you chance taking serious material away instead of just changing the surface. I would rough them up with a piece of sand paper or even a scotchbrite pad.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Thanks for the reply! But i was reading in another thread and one guy was saying he had a Tusk clutch and it went out in 24 hours. Im thinking he messed up somewhere. Anyways, Tusk is like 40 bucks off Ebay so that pretty cheap.
You must be referring to my 24 hour (hour meter) experience with a Tusk clutch. It literally blew apart into chunks. For the last 8-10 hours of it's life it would start slipping after it heated up to the point where the bike would just rev up and go nowhere. I had to take frequent breaks and let the clutch cool down in order to make it back to camp.

I have a few other buddies with very mild builds who run the Tusk clutch with no issues. I'm not sure if the Tusk just won't hold up to higher HP builds or if they can't handle the clamping force of a DD, but I'll never buy one again. Having a clutch go out during a dune trip sucks. Ended up costing me more in the end.

I'd go OEM. For around $100 it can't be beat IMO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not sure if he meant sand blasting but i do know he meant to rough up the surface. He told me thats what he does with his bikes.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
ive blasted some in a media blaster on low pressure to keep from eating it up. and ive ran tusk on 75hp builds, over that they all have lockups to help. but i do make sure they are all full size fibers, i know some tusk come with the small first fiber....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, well im just gunna let my buddies dad do his thing and see how it pans out. i am doing the full fiber upgrade though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts