Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed lately on my rappy when I get on hard acceleration or in the mid rpm range and then apply more gas I here clacking and it sounds like it is coming from the transmission area (or the sound is right under me) It does it in several gears, everything seems ok on my chain, it isn't too tight or loose??? (I have a 15tooth on right now) Anyone experienced this? :help: :help: :help:

·
Registered
137 Posts
My Rappy only has six gears

·
Registered
657 Posts
Check the chain guide rollers. They make lots of noise when they go bad. Cheap too. less than 20 bucks.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
it prob. isnt but you may have bad gas or to low of octane. just a possibility, sounds to me like detonation.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
I just noticed the same thing yesterday, mine might be anything though, i just installed the 734 kit, it makes a clatter when I accelerated hard, only for a split second and then it would stop. This happened every time and I wondered what was up? was it the timing? valve adjustment? maybe it IS the ocatane?? I am supposed to mix 50-50 Race fuel and premium pump gas. does predetonation sound like this?

G

·
digitalhearing said:
I just noticed the same thing yesterday, mine might be anything though, i just installed the 734 kit, it makes a clatter when I accelerated hard, only for a split second and then it would stop. This happened every time and I wondered what was up? was it the timing? valve adjustment? maybe it IS the ocatane?? I am supposed to mix 50-50 Race fuel and premium pump gas. does predetonation sound like this?
Detonation is most likely to happen under very high load, high heat situations. Predetonation you will hear a rattling/pinging type noise.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
thats what i ment .." ping" ping is before detonation... sorry

G

·
digitalhearing said:
What are the ways to stop the Pinging noise and do away with predetonation??
I know that higher octane will raise the ignition temperature of the fuel to prevent detonation.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
from the looks of your mods you need to run straight race fuel and not a mix of 50/50.. iam only suggesting ping due to the general area of noise and when it does happen.. it could be other problems, such as a chain slap !!!! but if you say chain is ok, then i would look into better fuel..

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found out my clacking noise was coming from the chain, under hard acceleration it rips really hard on the chain and I think it briefly rubs on the rollers, the noise went away after I tightened the chain a hair and pressure washed everything really good :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
If it was chain noise I think I would have noticed it before my rebuild, so maybe I should try full on race fuel and not the 50-50 mix. As always, thanks for the ideas :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, atleast I thought I fixed my clacking noise but it is still there!

I seriously think it might be transmission or clutch...?

It will clack in all the gears under decently hard acceleration, also noticed when I would hammer it is would kinda sound like clutch grind, I also noticed my clutch is a little slow on catching after letting it out.... :mad: makes me mad, I prob. dont have over 15 hours on it

·
Registered
657 Posts
07raptorgytr said:
from the looks of your mods you need to run straight race fuel and not a mix of 50/50.. ..
What would make you say this? Thats gotta be the dumbest statment I have seen yet. He is actually losing power by using that mixture with the mods listed in his sig. The most I would use would be ultra94. Race fuel is for HIGH comp like 12:1. My old rap with 11:1 ran on 93 or 94, whatever was avail. It was built too. I was smoking people with similar mods and running race fuel. The fuel smells good but thats it. You are gaining nothing. They are not gonna sell a machine that needs to be run on race fuel!!! Adding a pc3 or whatever he has does not require it either. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
657 Posts
Machy said:
I found out my clacking noise was coming from the chain, under hard acceleration it rips really hard on the chain and I think it briefly rubs on the rollers, the noise went away after I tightened the chain a hair and pressure washed everything really good :thumbsup:
As I told you before, It probally is still your chain. Your rollers are probally worn. The bearings dont last at all in those. Mine does the same thing. Same noise.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey wick where are the rollers located, I know it is a stupid question... :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts