Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my 2003 Raptor 660 has started a random clanking noise inside the motor. It only does it after about 20 minutes of hard riding in the dunes. Riding up and down the street at my house a dozen times won't trigger it. I just replaced the one-way starter clutch bearing thinking that might be the cause, but that didn't fix the problem. I recorded a little video after a ride in the dunes last weekend. Check it out here (and listen closely):

http://vimeo.com/41721423

Note: Performance and shifting gears is unaffected by this. When I hit the throttle and ride around, the sound stops. It only happens when letting off the throttle, slowing down to a stop and idling. It sounds like its in the central part of the motor. The sound doesn't seem louder on one side compared to the other.

Does anyone have any idea what the cause of this could be? I didn't find any shavings in the oil when I replaced the one-way bearing. I'm totally stumped.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
mine made a sound like that about a year and a half ago and the top shock bolt was loose and letting the shock rattle. hope thats all it is on yours

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine made a sound like that about a year and a half ago and the top shock bolt was loose and letting the shock rattle. hope thats all it is on yours
Nope. I don't think it's the shock. I have checked all the bolts including the skid plates. The sound is definitely coming from the motor. It only does it once it gets warmed up riding heavily. I will check the shock again though for good measure. Thanks for reading and replying!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
i hope you get it figured out. something like that would keep me awake at night. someone more knowledgeable than myself will be around soon to help you out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i hope you get it figured out. something like that would keep me awake at night. someone more knowledgeable than myself will be around soon to help you out
No worries. I just checked the shock bolts and they are fine. The jury is still out on this one. Note: It might be hard to tell from the video, but the sound is definitely coming from the motor.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
No worries. I just checked the shock bolts and they are fine. The jury is still out on this one. Note: It might be hard to tell from the video, but the sound is definitely coming from the motor.
Drain the oil and look for anything that isnt oil.................:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drain the oil and look for anything that isnt oil.................:D
As I said in my original post:

"I didn't find any shavings in the oil when I replaced the one-way bearing."

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
As I said in my original post:

"I didn't find any shavings in the oil when I replaced the one-way bearing."
This is when you changed the one way, have you checked it since............

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is when you changed the one way, have you checked it since............
I'm sorry if I was not clear enough in my ordinal post. It was making this sound BEFORE I changed the one way bearing. That was the whole reason I changed the one-way bearing to begin with. I changed the bearing two weeks ago and didn't ride the Raptor until this last weekend out in the dunes. Replacing the one-way bearing didn't fix the problem. I recorded the video right after a ride. I wanted to show everyone that the sound is not louder on either side of the motor. It's coming from the middle (I think). I'm trying to avoid tearing it open, replacing another expensive part and having it not fix the problem. I'm still paying for the dang $300 one-way bearing (I had to buy local).

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
What made you think your one-way was the cause of this? Was the bike hard to start? Was there a noise like the starter was spinning a bit before it caught? I just don't see what would make you hear that noise and think that changing the one-way would be the fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What made you think your one-way was the cause of this? Was the bike hard to start? Was there a noise like the starter was spinning a bit before it caught? I just don't see what would make you hear that noise and think that changing the one-way would be the fix.
A google search and searching this forum. Plus, I have a buddy who used to have a Raptor and his went bad. His experience, and from what I read in my search, sometimes the one-way bearing makes a noise when it's bad. Also, according to what I read, the one-way bearings go bad a lot on the Raptor. When we pulled the one-way bearing out, several of the actual bearings were worn and flat on one side, so we figured that to be the cause. Also, at the time, I originally thought the sound was coming from the stater side of the motor. However, now after a more thorough listening, its coming from the center. We could not get it to make the sound before or after we replaced the one-way bearing. The only way to get it to make the sound is heavy riding out in the dunes. Not easy to replicate in our neighborhood.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Check timing chain tensioner to determine if chain is stretched beyond useful life - it will clank like overly loud valve train.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts