Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you guys cleaning your foam filters??? What do you use... Mine looks like I took a crap on it

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
:bump:

·
Registered
20 Posts
ya i use gas as well and then let it dry out afterwards, it works great 8)

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
The soap and water method won't work? I'd sure like to meet genious that came up with that. How the hell do you get oil off with soap and water? I agree with the gas method, once she good and dry re-oil and re- install. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
SandDragon said:
The soap and water method won't work? I'd sure like to meet genious that came up with that. How the hell do you get oil off with soap and water? I agree with the gas method, once she good and dry re-oil and re- install. :thumbsup:
How to clean off oil with soap and water:
Well, you would scrub and scrub and scrub and scrub, squeeze out the nasty goo all over the plates in the sink, realize you just made a complete mess, wipe off on trousers,.....get really pissed and then go clean it properly,....with a degreaser or gas,.......

·
Registered
779 Posts
dish washing soap works great on oil and grease.....that's why you use it for dishes!

mix hot water and dish soap...let is soak for a bit, gently rub the filter in the soapy water with your fingers and rinse....let it dry or use a hair dryer, then apply Yamalube Filter Element oil...not too much, just enough to coat it evenly but not so much that it drips

you can also use Kerosene to clean the filter, just wash it afterwards, and no not in your sinks silly rabbits, use an old, clean pail

·
Registered
174 Posts
Maxima foam filter cleaner. :thumbsup:I use maxima foam filter oil also. Good stuff :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
K&N recharge kit

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I use mineral spirits (from **** Depot or Loews)...Just pour some in a small bucket and soak your foam filter for a while, then (with rubber gloves on) wring it out like a sponge a few times and let it dry....Obviously make sure its dry before re-oiling the filter so as not to break down the fresh oil..

Myself and all my freinds (MX bike guy's) have done this for years..We usually keep a couple three clean filters on hand so if your pressed for time and want to ride you don't have to clean a filter wait for a filter to dry....Thats one of the advantages of running foam, they are cheap and easy to maintain...... :grin_nod:

Hope that helps.. 8)

·
Registered
30 Posts
My dad taught me to use gas when I was a child, still use it now. I buy an extra air filter for everything I own that has a cleanable filter. Put the clean one on, oiled of course, then clean the dirty filter and let it sit to dry. Gas will clean it just fine, no need to buy some fancy cleaner.
To be honest, haven't cleaned the air filter in my Raptor yet, I should do it soon, has about 14 hours on it now.

·
Super Moderator
8,846 Posts
My dad taught me to use gas when I was a child, still use it now. I buy an extra air filter for everything I own that has a cleanable filter. Put the clean one on, oiled of course, then clean the dirty filter and let it sit to dry. Gas will clean it just fine, no need to buy some fancy cleaner.
To be honest, haven't cleaned the air filter in my Raptor yet, I should do it soon, has about 14 hours on it now.
Gas is bad on the skin amongst other things. I switched over to the no toil biodegradable solution and it is really a great product. Cleans super quick and then use no toil foam on the filter.

Reactions: CanadianGirl

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,765 Posts
Dawn dish soap does good on them. Flush and wash from the inside out. Gently squeeze them. Gas can deteriorate modern foam filters.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts