Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the main 2 sticky threads. I find not alot of info about cleaning in the carbs 101 but great thread for takeing it apart for cleaning.
I read in the manule to use compress air to blow out all passages and to use patroleum base solvent and not cautic carbarator cleaner. What brand of carb cleaner is this? Also could someone detail me more info on what to spray and where to spray or clean. Maybe this could be something to add to the 101 but I just dont find all info i need to clean my carbs. Please help my carbs are stirped the diaphrame and niddle has been removed and the 2 main jets and all 4 covers. Where do i go from here what should i blow out and not and how much psi should i set the compressor at. I worrie about the cause i read in clear tube that if you blow to hard you can cause your float tang to get out of adjustment. Im unable to pull the carbs apart from one anouther do to the agervateing gold philpe screws in the middle that striped out. I use pb buster on all screws and damn if 1 out of 8 come out without haveing to use vice grips and the two main gold/brass screwd i was unable to get with vice grips. I dont thank i need to pull them apart to clean? The spring in middle is dirty and I like to get to it but the screws hold me up. I will try to buy some mini vice grips i saw and also buy a small pair of them new so called 30% stronger than the old fasion ones. If that wont work i will give up on it untill i have to pull them apart. I dont mind attempting a tap out or takeing it to get extracted but only if i have to.

Please answer my cleaning questions what to use and what to clean and how to do it. Please dummy needs carb cleaning for dummy`s 101 here.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Look at the back label, if it says petroleum distilates you should be ok. I've never looked to see if the different brands are caustic or not and haven't had any problems. So long as the carb isn't soaked in it, it shouldn't matter what type you use. I'd guess the caustic's could might attack the aluminum over night.
An old tooth brush works well for scrubbing the outside.
As for compressed air, I'd be careful, lots of small parts that fly really far.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you soak/spray your carb as far as cleaning the insides. Should I just strip carb down as far as covers/springs/diaphrame/jets and just spray away the carb cleaner into the carb and drain it out then spray again and let everythang soak for few min and drain and let air out? How esactly do you prepare you carb for cleaning and how do you clean it. I may be asking a million and one questions but i never clean a carb before and I want to get all details right and when im done I like to add more 101 cleaning info to the sticky post.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just disassembled it down to the main body, took the needles and jets out. Sprayed all passages with brake parts cleaner (the best cleaner IMO). Let everything dry and put it all back together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.