Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read somewhere you can cleaner your air filter with part cleaning solvents. will this cause any problems with the filter like deteriorating?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Some of the harsher materials used to clean foam filters (ie gasoline, kerosene, etc) can break down the glue used to hold the sections of the filter together over time. But it's been my experience the filters are usually ready for replacement before it becomes a problem. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were others who clean their filters more often than I that might have another view.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i buy the spray on filter cleaner and get it real good. after i rinse it i give it a good dose of simple green and rinse again. after it dries overnight i use the spray on and rub and squeeze it real good. enough to coat it real good all the way through and squeeze the rest out.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
i know some people say dont use gasoline, but it i always use it and its the best and cheapest. i rub it in with my hands then after the filter comes back to its origional color i rinse it throughly with water then let it dry. then i oil it and its good as new. i have not noticed any detoriation of the filter, you will be able to tell if its falling apart then replace it but that will be after many cleanings

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
dish soap and water :thumbsup: then blow dry with an air compresser from a distance do not twist dry it you will rip it

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Ive used gas alot before and the filter needs replacing long before it falls apart from the gas in my cases.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will good part degreaser work too?

·
Registered
137 Posts
yes it will just go out and buy a $2 can of air intake cleaner and spray the shit out of it then rinse and repeat, let dry, replace and ride :thumbsup:

·
Registered
480 Posts
AJ RAPTOR said:
dish soap and water :thumbsup: then blow dry with an air compresser from a distance do not twist dry it you will rip it
Agreed. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
yeah, i was told BLUE DAWN dishsoap only after a good degreaser ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts