Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the other day my rear caliper came off while I was riding on a very muddy track, the brake line bolt that goes on the caliper even came loose so I loose fluid and maybe dirty water came in.

I fixed everything and bleeded the brake but when I bleeded them, the fluid that came out was very dirty, it was like mud. I did bleeded them until fresh clean fluid came out.

But now someone told me that I need to remove the caliper and completly clean because if mud or dirty water came in, it may harm the piston and the inner composants of the caliper.
Do I really need to do it ?

Can I just remove the piston without draining the fluid and removing the caliper ? Just like if I was turn the piston when I install new pads but in the other was ?
Or do I need to remove and clean anything ?

I just hate bleeding the brakes

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok so the other day my rear caliper came off while I was riding on a very muddy track, the brake line bolt that goes on the caliper even came loose so I loose fluid and maybe dirty water came in.

I fixed everything and bleeded the brake but when I bleeded them, the fluid that came out was very dirty, it was like mud. I did bleeded them until fresh clean fluid came out.

But now someone told me that I need to remove the caliper and completly clean because if mud or dirty water came in, it may harm the piston and the inner composants of the caliper.
Do I really need to do it ?

Can I just remove the piston without draining the fluid and removing the caliper ? Just like if I was turn the piston when I install new pads but in the other was ?
Or do I need to remove and clean anything ?

I just hate bleeding the brakes
If they are working properly, remove the caliper and hold it so it is upside down so the bleeder is at the bottom, and rebleed the brakes to expell any water that may be in the bottom of the caliper..............

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they are working properly, remove the caliper and hold it so it is upside down so the bleeder is at the bottom, and rebleed the brakes to expell any water that may be in the bottom of the caliper..............
Yeah they're working fine, I'll try that thanks !

I would think you would just need to make sure your getting clean fluid out of it. I hated doing brakes untill I got one of the pump bleeders and now I no problems and is much faster. I'm not sure if theres any place in tahiti to get them but I got this one in this link. http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-b...kit-92474.html
Might be able to find something like that around here, how do they make bleeding easier ?
Because bleeding brake is pretty simple, it's just very annoying. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not in the military but I do have a compressor.
This kit looks real nice, I'll check if I can find one on the local profesionnal tool store.

I guess that bleeding brakes only takes 5 to 10 minutes with this ? :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm not in the military but I do have a compressor.
This kit looks real nice, I'll check if I can find one on the local profesionnal tool store.

I guess that bleeding brakes only takes 5 to 10 minutes with this ? :D
No time at all. Just adjust your compressor to how fast you want it to suck out your fluids and all you have to worry about is opening and closing your bleeder screw.

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow cool, I need to find one of this thing !

I'll try like willykiller said first, then I'll try to buy one of these if I need to bleed them again.
I'll let you know how it works, I'm pretty busy at this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts