Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I recently replaced my stator due to no charging of the battery. Now when I start my bike it fires up and runs perfectly. Charges battery etc... After riding for about 30 min I stop for a bit and get back on and turns over but wont start. Unplug the regulator and press the start button and I get the same thing. I start checking electrical connections and so forth. Try to crank it again and nothing. After a while of messing with it I keep on trying to crank it and right before the battery is just about drained it fires up. (the battery had enough juice probably for one more revolution). I take off and ride for a bit and get to a place where I can mess with it if need be and cut it off. Again, no start! Battery is fully charged so the stator is doing its job. I do the same thing as before and right before the battery dies, it fires up. I get it back home and clean the bike up and once it cools off i try to start it and it does right away. It just wont when its been running for a while. Any clues to what my issue could be?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Mine does this same exact thing it seems. Earlier I shut it off and went to start it back up and it wouldn't start and I figured I'd keep on cranking since it always starts it just takes it a while of cranking before it fires. But this time it didn't fire and something was making a buzzing, not clicking sound like the usual dead battery sound when I pushed the button. Tonight, after I got the battery charged back up I took it for a ride and then stopped to talk to a friend for probably two minutes and went to start it back up and I was still and gear and it made a horrific slam bang sound when it turned over and I thought I dropped a valve. Then I cranked it for like 30 seconds til it smelled flooded but then she fired right up. It was cranking alot stronger and faster than usual though. I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish it was something as easy as messing with the carbs. The bike flies once it gets started and idles perfectly. The thing that gets me is that it will start when the motor is barely turning over because the battery is almost dead. Other than that, the motor turns over very fast when trying to start.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
You need to determine what is happening when it WON'T start - immediately check for spark - is it there? I'm going to guess it is not, and the new stator has some thermal issues... it seems that aftermarket stators seem to have many interesting failure modes, right out of the box.

Did you keep your old stator? Not too much work to trade it back in and see if this particular issue goes away (yes, you won't be charging the battery, but the bike will still start when hot, we hope).

Else, it certainly sounds like an electrical and thermal issue - not starting until the battery voltage has dropped way down implies, perhaps, some heat expansion related stator shorting issues.

Have you tried pull starting when this occurs (not using the starter)? This would also be an intersting test result.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will have to see if I still have my last one. This is actually the 2nd one that I have put in there. When the OEM one went out, I replaced it with a kit I bought from RM stator. It came with stator, coil, cdi and light bulbs. A couple of weeks later I noticed that the battery wasnt charging so I purchased a new battery. After being stuck in the woods at night with a dead battery I knew it was the stator again. When I took this one out, the stator was burnt in some spots and had melted. Now it has been replaced with a moose racing one. With the new battery this thing turns over very fast. When I get the chance I will get it hot and cut it off and try to pull start it and get back with you. Thanks

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I will have to see if I still have my last one. This is actually the 2nd one that I have put in there. When the OEM one went out, I replaced it with a kit I bought from RM stator. It came with stator, coil, cdi and light bulbs. A couple of weeks later I noticed that the battery wasnt charging so I purchased a new battery. After being stuck in the woods at night with a dead battery I knew it was the stator again. When I took this one out, the stator was burnt in some spots and had melted. Now it has been replaced with a moose racing one. With the new battery this thing turns over very fast. When I get the chance I will get it hot and cut it off and try to pull start it and get back with you. Thanks
Read this thread and see if anything is similar.................
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39381

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does sound kinda similar but somewhat different. This thing turns over very fast and always does right until the battery just about dies and then fires right up. It hasnt shot any flames out of the exhaust or hasnt not wanted to turn over. When I get home I'm going to put the stock CDI and give it a whirl. I hope I dont need to replace this damn stator again. The first time I replaced it was because of no spark. The second time was because it wasnt charging the battery.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
It does sound kinda similar but somewhat different. This thing turns over very fast and always does right until the battery just about dies and then fires right up. It hasn't shot any flames out of the exhaust or has not wanted to turn over. When I get home I'm going to put the stock CDI and give it a whirl. I hope I don't need to replace this damn stator again. The first time I replaced it was because of no spark. The second time was because it isn't charging the battery.
Are you using an OEM stator, stator problems cause the wildest of symptoms...........

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Willy, this time it was a moose racing one.
Well I got it fixed! Got home and fired it up and went for a 10 min ride. Came back and it did the usual, wouldnt start. Put the factory CDI in and it fired right up. I have been riding for the past 30 min switching off/on and everything seems back to normal.
On the other hand, the only thing that is left working on the quad from the RMstator package I bought is the coil. Headlights went out in 2 days, stator in about a year and now the CDI is messed up. The bad thing is that I have only been on the quad for a handful of times in that year. I guess OEM parts are better than aftermarket is some aspects. Thanks for the help guys. Maybe someone might get the same issues that I had and this might help them.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Willy, this time it was a moose racing one.
Well I got it fixed! Got home and fired it up and went for a 10 min ride. Came back and it did the usual, wouldnt start. Put the factory CDI in and it fired right up. I have been riding for the past 30 min switching off/on and everything seems back to normal.
On the other hand, the only thing that is left working on the quad from the RMstator package I bought is the coil. Headlights went out in 2 days, stator in about a year and now the CDI is messed up. The bad thing is that I have only been on the quad for a handful of times in that year. I guess OEM parts are better than aftermarket is some aspects. Thanks for the help guys. Maybe someone might get the same issues that I had and this might help them.
What kind or brand of CDI were you using...................

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Everything was RM stator parts. I bought one of their kits that had the stator, CDI, coil and headlights. So the combination that is running right now is a moose racing stator, rm coil, and the factory CDI. Now the motor doesnt even sound like its making a full rotation by the time that it starts. Before it would take around 2-3 seconds before it would start. Hopefully i can go out and enjoy the freshly built motor without worrying if it is going to start. Again, thanks for the help.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Glad you found it... I'm always a bit leery when trying to troubleshoot a bike that has a lot of aftermarket electronics - you never know how they're going to interact, compared to the OEM parts.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
With the Rhinos, apparently the Dyna FS has problems starting some bikes, I have never noticed this but on rhino forum, some people advertise this..........
The stock Rhino uses 5 degrees advance when starting compared to 13 degrees for the raptor................weird and a big difference, I programmed my Rhino to 13 degrees...............

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I try to keep things the same when it comes to parts. Thats why I ordered that kit from RM stator. Their parts kept malfunctioning so I didn't feel like putting the same brand back in. The only thing that is not OEM is the coil and the stator. Time to enjoy riding this thing again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts