Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been adjusting the clutch and I cannot get it to work right.

1. When I adjust it to where it should be with just a little play in the lever at the perch, it will not shift into gear. The hand clutch lever seems to be at the right tension, maybe a little soft.

2. When I tighten it to where it can shift and ride like it has some power I cannot find neutral and it is hard to shift into other gears, it will roll a little when I shift into gear. There is heavier tension on the clutch lever.

3. When I adjust it to where I can find neutral it seems as if I am riding the clutch and I have no pull... Pulling the clutch lever is hard at that point.

I am running 20w-50 oil in it, I will probably put thicker oil in it and see if that helps. A guy took down the engine and all he found was that the metal friction plates were blue so we replaced them and left the others alone.

My Raptor is an 03 and I replaced the clutch lever with one from an 05, not sure if that could be a problem.

Can anyone give me some insight before I start taking this apart, again...

Thanks
JimT

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have been adjusting the clutch and I cannot get it to work right.

1. When I adjust it to where it should be with just a little play in the lever at the perch, it will not shift into gear. The hand clutch lever seems to be at the right tension, maybe a little soft.

2. When I tighten it to where it can shift and ride like it has some power I cannot find neutral and it is hard to shift into other gears, it will roll a little when I shift into gear. There is heavier tension on the clutch lever.

3. When I adjust it to where I can find neutral it seems as if I am riding the clutch and I have no pull... Pulling the clutch lever is hard at that point.

I am running 20w-50 oil in it, I will probably put thicker oil in it and see if that helps. A guy took down the engine and all he found was that the metal friction plates were blue so we replaced them and left the others alone.

My Raptor is an 03 and I replaced the clutch lever with one from an 05, not sure if that could be a problem.

Can anyone give me some insight before I start taking this apart, again...

Thanks
JimT
Blue isnt really what I look for, are they warped????? if so you will have all your problems as stated, or you could be checking your clutch when the engine and oil is cold and you can also have problems as you stated.............

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if the "blue" ones were warped we replaced them.

I will replace the oil tomorrow with some 10w-40 and warm it up good and see how that goes.

Jim

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Not sure if the "blue" ones were warped we replaced them.

I will replace the oil tomorrow with some 10w-40 and warm it up good and see how that goes.

Jim
Did you check for warped plates, if the steel ones are warped, the friction plates will be also.................

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Argh!!! I will call the guy who did the job, I only looked at the plates color, didn't know at the time to look to see if they were warped...

It may be just as easy to pull the ones I have now and see what is going on in there. It seems like a fairly easy job that isn't too to time consuming. The Tusk kits at RM are only $50 which isn't too bad.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts