Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else use RTV instead of a gasket on the clutch cover? Put a new clutch in, and poked a hole in the new gasket. Couldn't find a new gasket locally so I used Ultra Grey Permetex in place of the gasket. So far so good after several hours.

·
The Moose Rider
1,644 Posts
Yes and its been about a year with no problems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you've done this with success, what kind of RTV did you use. I used the Permetex Ultra Gray which is a gasket maker thats highly resistant to oil.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
If you've done this with success, what kind of RTV did you use. I used the Permetex Ultra Gray which is a gasket maker thats highly resistant to oil.
That'll be fine. I've worked wonders with Permatex. lol

·
The Moose Rider
1,644 Posts
I used permetex copper. Its there highest temp rtv. Same sealant that is used to seal up exhaust. I happen to have some of it so thats what I used. Any rtv is going to be resistance to oil. It's non rtv silicon sealant you ant to stay away from.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
The only problem with RTV is that when it squeezes into the oil filled area, eventually some can break off and plug small oil passages... The Permatex types that become harder are less prone to this - I'd avoid standard RTV's (i.e. silicone sealant) and use either the hardening types made for oil, as said above, or use something like Yamabond or equivalent.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I use ThreeBond (its just like Yamabond) for my head cover & cases.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts