Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to be more than just a few Raptor owners with inexplicable clutch failures, some even after a short time of operation.

My '07 has 0 miles (...and it's killing me, BTW, to not be able to at least start the break-in...to many obligations to complete first... :mad:)

But, I have started it up in the garage (pure torture), and noticed that if I try to engage the starter while it is in gear, and the clutch level pulled all the way in (you know, the way we have started bikes for decades, even though the manual recommends neutral) the bike lurches forward as if the clutch is engaged. OK, so perhaps the clutch lever/cable is not adjusted correctly, right?...

...but then why can I sit on it with the engine running, in gear, with the clutch level pulled in, and it does not move/creep forward?

Why would it only do this with the electric starter?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I just don't want to be hauling it back to the dealer with 5 hours on it, and a blue, trashed clutch... :eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
When i was in first gear starting my raptor new it would do the same thing. After riding it all summer and having hours on the engine and the clutch being worn mine does not move forward. The only time it moves forward is when it is cold out side.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ribs said:
When i was in first gear starting my raptor new it would do the same thing. After riding it all summer and having hours on the engine and the clutch being worn mine does not move forward. The only time it moves forward is when it is cold out side.
Hmmm...maybe when the centrifical force is acting on the clutch (engine running) it doesn't grab like it does when not running or when the starter is spinning it. Sounds like a little healthy wear/tear/break-in will make it act normal.

Thanks Ribs :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
check your CPS (clutch position sensor) which is mounted on your clutch perch. if it is lose the "computer" (not really a computer) senses the clutch is not pulled in and won't allow the started to turn...

how to fix it?

rip the plug off and wire the 2 wires together and tuck them down under the front fender. that or put some di-electric grease on it and make sure its connected right!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The ONLY reason it does that is because its cold. EVERY one of my 4-stroke machines have done that. Whats the big deal about starting it in neutral when its cold?
I guarantee it doesnt do it when its warm.....if it does, than yeah....you have a problem! But if its like every other 4-stroke machine I have been around, when they are cold they lurch wehn in gear.

As far as clutch failures.....hmmmm, havnt heard much and I have been around here for a while now! :thumbsup:

There are a couple just recently that have burnt the clutch....but its not a normal thing by any means

·
Registered
556 Posts
It's normal...anything...even a car will do the same thing until the oil is heated up slightly. Put your car on a ramps "assuming it's a stick" and leave it in N and the viscosity of the oil will still turn the output shaft enough to see the wheels moving slightly until warmed up.

M

·
Registered
78 Posts
What i found on my rapter is this; i start mine in neutral all the time, and let it warm up for a few minutes. when i put it in gear, it will lurch. What i have found is if i pull in and release the clutch a couple of times and then put it in gear, it will not lurch forward. To me, it seems as though with the cold oil and such that the clutch plates might stick. Could be wrong, but this is what it does for me.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
cold start the oil is thicker, your clutch plates have a thin film of oil on them, hence they cause some drag, even when your engine first fires it drags till probably 5-10 minutes ( or till you feel some heat on the bottom end of the engine) the reason you dont feel it is cause the engine is spinning alot more rpm and has alot more power at an idle than the starter......it is perfectly normal 8)

·
Registered
779 Posts
I wonder if that is what I hear for a little bit when I start mine up from cold. While it sits there in neurtral, idling away and warming up, it almost sounds like a Ducati, if you've ever heard one of those, you'd know what I mean. It makes a fair amount of noise in the bottom end, not a like a grinding or anything...just noise, once warmed up, it mellows out. It's pretty cold up here right now (Toronto area)

MK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts