Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my clutch lever is a little messed up. When ever I pull it in and let go it only pulls back out about half way. I have to manually pull it out. The torsion spring on the clutch shift rod going into the crankcase is brand new and it works just fine when the cable isn't hooked up.

Also.. when I do pull the clutch lever it feels like it's way to easy, like as if it wasn't even disengaging the clutch. Could that be because it's in neutral? I pulled the shaft out and looked down into the crankcase and the little teeth are aligned properly to mesh with the shaft.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So my clutch lever is a little messed up. When ever I pull it in and let go it only pulls back out about half way. I have to manually pull it out. The torsion spring on the clutch shift rod going into the crankcase is brand new and it works just fine when the cable isn't hooked up.

Also.. when I do pull the clutch lever it feels like it's way to easy, like as if it wasn't even disengaging the clutch. Could that be because it's in neutral? I pulled the shaft out and looked down into the crankcase and the little teeth are aligned properly to mesh with the shaft.
You have to time this shaft to the clutch, so install the shaft, turn the shaft in a clockwise direction, remove the snap ring and lever and holding the shaft tight clockwise, reinstall the lever so that the timing marks are aligned on the lever and the clutch housing................

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to time this shaft to the clutch, so install the shaft, turn the shaft in a clockwise direction, remove the snap ring and lever and holding the shaft tight clockwise, reinstall the lever so that the timing marks are aligned on the lever and the clutch housing................
I turned it clockwise as far as it'll go and then installed the lever aligned with the clutch housing. Now I can't use the clutch at all because when the cable is connected it pulls it clockwise but it's already turned clockwise as far as it'll go....

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I turned it clockwise as far as it'll go and then installed the lever aligned with the clutch housing. Now I can't use the clutch at all because when the cable is connected it pulls it clockwise but it's already turned clockwise as far as it'll go....
Did you align the timing marks on the clutch housing to the lever.............

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you align the timing marks on the clutch housing to the lever.............
Yes. Is it supposed to be extremely difficult to turn clockwise after I've done what you described in your previous post? I mean I hooked up the cable and tried pulling it with the clutch lever and it wouldn't go anywhere.

Put shaft into crankcase and turn clockwise as far as it'll go. Keep shaft at this position while you remove the lever. Align the lever with the marks on the crankcase and put it back on the shaft. Install clutch cable onto lever while still at the clockwise most position, correct?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Yes. Is it supposed to be extremely difficult to turn clockwise after I've done what you described in your previous post? I mean I hooked up the cable and tried pulling it with the clutch lever and it wouldn't go anywhere.

Put shaft into crankcase and turn clockwise as far as it'll go. Keep shaft at this position while you remove the lever. Align the lever with the marks on the crankcase and put it back on the shaft. Install clutch cable onto lever while still at the clockwise most position, correct?
Yes, that is the proper way to set it up................

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How did your problem start, and what did you fix, what parts did you change............
Well I had the whole engine apart to replace the transmission. Now that it's all back together the only problem I'm running into is with this stupid clutch. Everything on the inside is all properly aligned like the service manual states. It starts up and runs just fine as well, I just can't get this shaft to operate like it should.

The funny thing is it worked excellent but needed a new torsion spring for that shaft. Well I got the new spring and accidentally pulled the whole shaft out. Now because of that I can't set it up how it should be.

I did exactly like you told me but it won't turn the shaft clockwise anymore after that, it will only go back counter-clockwise. To my understanding it should be turned clockwise as far as it can go, then aligned with the crankcase, and cable installed. Then when the cable is pulled (clockwise) is should operate the clutch normally, right?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well I had the whole engine apart to replace the transmission. Now that it's all back together the only problem I'm running into is with this stupid clutch. Everything on the inside is all properly aligned like the service manual states. It starts up and runs just fine as well, I just can't get this shaft to operate like it should.

The funny thing is it worked excellent but needed a new torsion spring for that shaft. Well I got the new spring and accidentally pulled the whole shaft out. Now because of that I can't set it up how it should be.

I did exactly like you told me but it won't turn the shaft clockwise anymore after that, it will only go back counter-clockwise. To my understanding it should be turned clockwise as far as it can go, then aligned with the crankcase, and cable installed. Then when the cable is pulled (clockwise) is should operate the clutch normally, right?
I suggest you check a few things, the trans lever for the clutch should be at about 11.30 when in th rest postion and with the clutch pulled in it should be at about 12.00 oclock looking at it from the RH side...........
You should have no more then 1/8 inch free travel in the cable, adjust this properly, too much freeplay and the clutch wont disconnect, too little or none will allow the clutch to slip............

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suggest you check a few things, the trans lever for the clutch should be at about 11.30 when in th rest postion and with the clutch pulled in it should be at about 12.00 oclock looking at it from the RH side...........
You should have no more then 1/8 inch free travel in the cable, adjust this properly, too much freeplay and the clutch wont disconnect, too little or none will allow the clutch to slip............
Double checked everything. The only problem is the clutch basically not moving. It is as if something was holding it down and the shaft just won't pull it up.

One of my buddies told me that this can be caused if the clutch basket springs are on too tight. Could that be a possibility? I screwed them in with a cordless impact because I couldn't torque them down without the clutch spinning, so they are probably pretty tight on there.

I need to take the clutch crankcase off anyway to re-thread a hole.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Double checked everything. The only problem is the clutch basically not moving. It is as if something was holding it down and the shaft just won't pull it up.

One of my buddies told me that this can be caused if the clutch basket springs are on too tight. Could that be a possibility? I screwed them in with a cordless impact because I couldn't torque them down without the clutch spinning, so they are probably pretty tight on there.

I need to take the clutch crankcase off anyway to re-thread a hole.
These springs need to be tightened to about 9 or 10 lbs, or else you will either break or strip the bolts.............

Now going back from memory on what you said, you indicated you followed the service manual while doing this repair, also you said it worked properly until you changed the torsion spring on the lever, so did the problem start after completion of the trans exchange or after the repair job it worked okay and then you changed the torsion spring and this is when you had the clutch disengage problem.

I am trying to understand the chronological events leading to your problem, if it didnt work properly after the repair, you may have an issue with the clutch itself.

Overtightening the clutch spring bolts will not cause your clutch to not disengage............These bolts bottom at a predetermined length, but should be tightened properly.........

I suppose the bolt that is stripped is the small bolt that locates and holds the clutch shaft into the housing........

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These springs need to be tightened to about 9 or 10 lbs, or else you will either break or strip the bolts.............

Now going back from memory on what you said, you indicated you followed the service manual while doing this repair, also you said it worked properly until you changed the torsion spring on the lever, so did the problem start after completion of the trans exchange or after the repair job it worked okay and then you changed the torsion spring and this is when you had the clutch disengage problem.

I am trying to understand the chronological events leading to your problem, if it didnt work properly after the repair, you may have an issue with the clutch itself.

Overtightening the clutch spring bolts will not cause your clutch to not disengage............These bolts bottom at a predetermined length, but should be tightened properly.........

I suppose the bolt that is stripped is the small bolt that locates and holds the clutch shaft into the housing........
The stripped bolt is the one for the oil passage like that goes into the clutch crankcase. The one that holds the clutch shaft into the housing is a little messed up too because when I tighten it down all the way it doesn't allow the clutch shaft to move. In fact, if I tighten it down about 3/4 of the way is prevents the shaft from moving.

It worked fine before the repair. I'm not positive if it worked correctly after for a few reasons. I never really had the clutch cable hooked up because I couldn't get it adjusted. I'm assuming it worked fine because when I turned the clutch shaft clockwise I was able to feel tension on it, like it was in fact lifting up the clutch basket.

Then I purchased the torsion spring because I assumed it didn't have enough tension. I came to that conclusion because it was only able to pull the clutch cable back about 1/2 way and I had to manually by hand pull it back the rest of the way.

While installing the torsion spring I accidentally lifted up on the clutch shaft too much and it no longer meshed with the teeth that go to the clutch.

The whole thing is kind of flawed though because I never knew how connect the clutch shaft lever with the clutch cable properly until your post.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
How is the whole thing kind of flawed? I don't understand what you mean exactly because if you have the manual or a Clymers, it tells you exactly what to do to correctly install the clutch cable. Now, if you have your cable incorrectly adjusted (like I did), that could cause you some problems, but as far as the clutch shaft lever portion of it, it's right there.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How is the whole thing kind of flawed? I don't understand what you mean exactly because if you have the manual or a Clymers, it tells you exactly what to do to correctly install the clutch cable. Now, if you have your cable incorrectly adjusted (like I did), that could cause you some problems, but as far as the clutch shaft lever portion of it, it's right there.
This is why:

Never did that when I put it back together. Never seen it in the owners manual. It actually makes no sense at all. How can I turn the shaft clockwise as far as it'll go and then install the cable onto the lever while it's still at the clockwise most position?

When I move the clutch shaft from counter-clockwise to clockwise it moves freely, there is no tension at all. It's so loose the wind can move it. There's obviously something wrong. The teeth aren't meshing with the actual clutch or something. And after it's turned all the way clockwise it won't go anymore no matter how hard I pull on it.

The clutch cable pulls the shaft clockwise. So how is it going to pull it clockwise if it's already at the clockwise most position?

·
VIP
1,070 Posts
The cable will pull the lever further clockwise, thus disengaging the clutch. Right now it is as far clockwise as it will go by hand, but when you attach the cable it will pull the lever further clockwise, thus disengaging the clutch.

When you push it all the way until it stops, the clutch pull rod is engaged with the pressure plate and ready to pull it away from the clutch plates.

Have you even tried installing the cable yet, since Willy told you to properly time the shaft?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The cable will pull the lever further clockwise, thus disengaging the clutch. Right now it is as far clockwise as it will go by hand, but when you attach the cable it will pull the lever further clockwise, thus disengaging the clutch.

When you push it all the way until it stops, the clutch pull rod is engaged with the pressure plate and ready to pull it away from the clutch plates.

Have you even tried installing the cable yet, since Willy told you to properly time the shaft?
That's the problem though, it won't pull it farther clockwise. It's like the clutch pull rod can't pull it away from the clutch plates, it just won't budge.

I turned the shaft clockwise all the way, then installed the clutch shaft lever and made sure it's aligned with the crankcase. Then I installed the clutch cable (the clutch shaft is being held at the clockwise position the entire time). After that's done I tried pulling the clutch lever (on the handlebars) and it won't move.

It's like the clutch pull rod can't pull the pressure plate up. I have to remove the clutch crankcase cover anyway to re-thread the oil passage hole so I'll check it out, maybe I did something wrong.

·
VIP
1,070 Posts
It may be that you did not align the arrow on the pressure plate with the mark on the clutch basket. The pressure plate must be aligned properly on the basket, so that it will fully seat on the last fiber plate. If you did not align the marks, the pressure plate will not be seated and will stick out further, which would not allow any travel when you pull the lever.

Once you have to cover off, check the pressure plate and when you reinstall the springs make sure to turn them in evenly a little at a time in a criss cross pattern and do not overtighten them. Just tighten them by hand until they are snug. It's best to use a nut driver rather than a ratchet, so you do not snap the bolts. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It may be that you did not align the arrow on the pressure plate with the mark on the clutch basket. The pressure plate must be aligned properly on the basket, so that it will fully seat on the last fiber plate. If you did not align the marks, the pressure plate will not be seated and will stick out further, which would not allow any travel when you pull the lever.

Once you have to cover off, check the pressure plate and when you reinstall the springs make sure to turn them in evenly a little at a time in a criss cross pattern and do not overtighten them. Just tighten them by hand until they are snug. It's best to use a nut driver rather than a ratchet, so you do not snap the bolts. :thumbsup:
I was going to align the marks on the clutch basket and pressure plate but kind of ran into a problem. The clutch basket has an alignment mark but the pressure plate doesn't. It's a Hinson pressure plate. I just aligned the clutch basket with the Hinson logo....

How about the clutch plates, any special alignment on them? I know the order they have to go in, but is there any other alignment for them besides the order?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I was going to align the marks on the clutch basket and pressure plate but kind of ran into a problem. The clutch basket has an alignment mark but the pressure plate doesn't. It's a Hinson pressure plate. I just aligned the clutch basket with the Hinson logo....

How about the clutch plates, any special alignment on them? I know the order they have to go in, but is there any other alignment for them besides the order?
In the original post you said you changed the torsion spring and ran into trouble, now all of a sudden you have done a lot more then just change the trans gears and torsion spring, I suggest you dismantle and follow the service manual as you said you have done and recheck how you assembled the clutch, paying attention to everything as to how it goes together............:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts