Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, :help:
During the weekend I changed my chain, my sprockets, removed my parking break and changed the clutch lever. Now here is my problem, when I removed the parking break I broke the little sensor that was on the lever by accident. I don't know if there is a limiter that engages or something, but Now I can't adjust my clutch properly. Every time that I put it in first gear the quad starts to roll even when I have the clutch held down. When the engine is running I am able to change gears but can't put it neutral. I tried to adjust the clutch cable I put it to the max adjustment. I even changed the adjustment screw, put a longer one to have more adjustment. That did not work so I am running out of ideas. I also changed the location hoping that it would be the problem. Could it be the part that is not good. I put a Magnum clutch lever, is it supposed to fit on a raptor 660?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your clutch also has an adjustment in the cable and clutch stack on top of the right side case (sitting on the bike) down by the brake lever. There are two cinch nuts, 12 mm, on the cable. Loosen the nut towards the back of the quad and tighten the nut towards the front of the quad (keeping the cable in the retaining bracket) to take in the slack on your cable and therefore increase your clutch action. But don't go too far. Small adjustments are the key to dialing in your clutch action, and if you over adjust it the clutch will not fully disengage and you will burn it up prematurely, as well as not get the full power from your transmission/engine.

It's rather difficult to try and dial in the clutch by only adjusting at the lever. Put the lever adjustment about halfway, and adjust down at the case, making SMALL adjustments, until you get a good feel. It's really just a matter of playing with it, but I think if you refer to your Yamaha Shop Manual (I'm at work and don't have mine) it will give you the exact amount of play or slack that should be in your lever. As a general rule of thumb, you want the lever to be a little loose before it actuates the cable by pulling on it, but everyone likes their clutch feel to be a little different.

On my quad, with a high-comp piston, cam, exhaust, filter and GYT-R clutch kit, when I pull the lever in all the way and kick the quad into gear, there is a slight kick, and I know it's in gear. The clutch is completely disengaged when the lever is about 1/8 inch shy of being all the way out. And when I fan the clutch, say in a corner or to powershift, I get good clutch action with the lever pulled a little more than halfway in. Hope this helped. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I pull the clutch in and put it in gear it wants to go. I adjusted it to where there is no slack still it's like I'm not using a clutch at all

·
Master of the Electron
15,454 Posts
Do you have a question, Shab?

·
Registered
657 Posts
When I pull the clutch in and put it in gear it wants to go. I adjusted it to where there is no slack still it's like I'm not using a clutch at all
There MUST BE SLACK. If there is no slack then in gear, it will want to go. You just need slack enough that it's not partially pulling the clutch in all the time but you need not too much slack or you can't fully disengage the clutch.

·
Master of the Electron
15,454 Posts
If there is no slack then in gear, it will want to go.
Nathan your logic in this statement is backwards... with no slack one is at risk for the clutch to partially disengage and cause slippage. Too much slack will make it difficult to disengage the clutch; way too much slack prevents any disengagement.

Reactions: Nathannewbie

·
Registered
657 Posts
Nathan your logic in this statement is backwards... with no slack one is at risk for the clutch to partially disengage and cause slippage. Too much slack will make it difficult to disengage the clutch; way too much slack prevents any disengagement.
Lol thats what I meant to say. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts