Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 raptor 660
After splitting my cause due to finding tons of metal in oil resivor and in the case sides I came across pieces of clutch disc. After inspecting the discs I only have 7 friction discs instead of 8. The first one is the one that shattered I'm guessing as it had a metal disc first and I think its supposed to be friction on both first and last. I also noticed the jetter spring was on the very outside instead of third one in. Whats weird is that it still shifted without trouble. The clicks where alittle hard to tell but still worked.

Is the jetter spring supposed to be alittle tweaked or should it be perfectly straight? I ordered a new vitos clutch kit but it dosent come with a jetter spring.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Jutter spring should be perfectly straight but not flat. It should be a little convex which is what makes the spring. If it is bent, it could cause problems.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Somebody had the stack wrong. They will still work. You can vary the stack to suit your needs so long as you maintain a function able overall stack thickness. For example, some guys run 9 frictions, requires thinner steels to maintain the standard overall thickness.

The most common setup is to use 8 normal size fibers and 7 steels without the spring.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed when I put the 8 plates/7 steels in with the spring just after the first steel it seems like they don't all fit. Without the springs the last plate almost falls out. After I tighten the springs the last plate is flush with the tips of the basket. Is this normal or should I just take the jutter spring out and run plate/steel repeat?

Also second question, when I was tightening the pressure plate spring screws to 7.2 foot pounds one broke off inside. I managed to extract it but I really want to go out riding. The wifes been bugging me to go for over a week now. Would I be ok with just going to a hardware store and getting a M6x1.0x30 bolt with washer and using that?

Thank you all for the responses. You are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
It is ok to replace the bolt with another that is the correct size and thread length.
Make sure the head of a new fastener does not stick out further than stock and rub the inside of the cover.

It is also ok to leave the small disc/spring out.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Remove the jitter spring. The stack is simple. Fiber steel fiber steel fiber steel fiber steel fiber steel fiber steel fiber steel fiber pressure plate, clutch springs, bolts.

I’ve never torqued the spring retainer bolts. Thread until they bottom out on the hub bosses, then just snug.
You will almost certainly keep breaking the stock bolts if you try to torque them. Replace them all with some socket caps.

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so got the engine back in. Couldnt get it to shift at first. Kept messing with the adjustments on the engine side lever till the lines match up when I pushed it all the way clockwise with my hand and got about 1/8 inch play with the cable on. I then did the nickels worth of play on the perch. I got it to shift but it's clunky.
I took it for a ride down the street to try shifting and it shifted 1-5 and back down. Then I parked it for a few min to fix a stuck float due to sitting while I had the engine out. When I tried to ride it the second time I put it in reverse and it got stuck in reverse. I couldnt get it to shift back till I shut the engine off. Once I did I took it for the same short ride and again shifted thru gears however when I came back to the house I can't get it to find neutral anymore and its creeping alot while the clutch fully pulled in. I also. Noticed on the second ride that I was getting a jerking when I went to accelerate, I would guess the clutch was slipping.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,549 Posts
As the fibers wear-in you need to do additional free play adjustments. Check the play first at the lever on the clutch cover.

·
11,549 Posts
Check your oil again for residue metal chips. And clean the oil tank screen.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I adjusted it again at the perch. Lever at engine seemed same. It stopped rolling but I don't know if its cause it cooled down.
It's clunking really hard when I shift, I cant tell if its in the engine or the clutch side.

·
11,549 Posts
I adjusted it again at the perch. Lever at engine seemed same. It stopped rolling but I don't know if its cause it cooled down.
It's clunking really hard when I shift, I cant tell if its in the engine or the clutch side.
Try more free play.
I would check the screen a few times, and especially at oil changes.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Did you soak the fibers in oil before installing?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you soak the fibers in oil before installing?
Yes I soaked the them for 5 hours. However I put them in the basket amd then broke a bolt in boss so I didn't run it till the next day when i got a replacement bolt.
@DEZPERADO when I split the case I fully cleaned the inside of the engine and replaced oil pickup , all the oil lines blown out, and spent 1.5 hours meticulous cleaning the oil tank and filter at bottom.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Did the basket or hub have grooves worn into it? That can cause issues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I played with the adjustments some and its shifting ok now but I still have alot of slipping in 1st/second gear. From what i can tell it's just those 2 gears. 3 on feels fine. If I come to a roll at a stop sign and take off in 3rd it dosent slip at all.
It's slipping really bad in the first gears though. It makes the whole bike jerk violently. Could this be because I left out the jutter spring?

·
11,549 Posts
Did you put in 7 steels and 8 full size fibers? If so, the jutter spring should be left out.
Normally a slipping clutch will be noticeable in higher gears. A test would be to put the front bumper against a tree, in first gear, see if it slips or kills the motor.

Reactions: Sixpack577
1 - 20 of 54 Posts