Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The kit had 7 steels and 8 fibers. Two fibers where smaller then the others. From what I found on the web they were supposed to go first and last so thats what I did.
This is the kit I got
The atv rips good in 3rd gear and on.
I'll try the tree thing tomorrow

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I split the case again to try and fix a oil drip I thought was from the case half but after sealing with yamabond this time I'm starting to think its coming from the stator side and running down.
Anyway come to the problem yet again. After reassembling I cannot for the life of me get the clutch adjusted right again. It's either too lose that the clutch lever dosent do anything to help even though it feels like there is plenty of resistance or its too tight that I cant get it to shift into gear without shutting it off from neutral. Also cant get it into neutral or to stop rolling with the clutch pulled in. Once I'm going it will shift fine down but up I can't feel it shift but it does. Is it possible I did something like but a one way in backwards or something?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,583 Posts
Is the lever on the clutch cover aligned properly, slightly behind 90* center?

Loosen the clutch cable at the perch and clutch cover, then check for free play at the clutch cover lever.

If there is no play, the clutch is assembled wrong.

If there is play, adjust the cable for 1/8 - 3/16in free play. Then adjust at the perch for 1/16 - 1/8in free play and it should work.

NOTE: a new clutch could need a number of adjustments as the fibers seat in.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Are you using the factory shifter with the linkage? That may be an issue. I ended up switching to a lever that attaches directly to the shift shaft
This has nothing to do with clutch engagement, but may be a compounding issue.

·
11,583 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No. I know I'm supossed to but if I give it free play then it won't shift. If I tighten it then I can shift but it slips.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I’m speaking specifically of the shifter itself. The factory linkage setup on 660s can be a problem. Maybe it’s not allowing enough up travel to fully ratchet the shift star.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I’m speaking specifically of the shifter itself. The factory linkage setup on 660s can be a problem. Maybe it’s not allowing enough up travel to fully ratchet the shift star.
O gotcha. Ya that's stock and haven't played with the adjustment on it at all. I'll try adjusting it and see if it changes anything. If not I'll look into a aftermarket.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok so back this issue now that I got my engine rebuilt. Still having same issue with cant get the clutch right. I talked to another member and he had similar issues and fixed it with changing back to stock lever and less stiff springs. I changed my lever back to stock from adjustable but it didn't feel any different. So now I got the dang clutch cover off again and looking at the springs
I had got a vitos HD clutch kit

Spring on the left is the HD vitos spring and the one on the right is my old spring which is much shorter. Maybe this is the cause? I just can't find a spot where the bike is happy. Either I cant shift or it slips and totally keeps falling out of second gear. 3rd on it acts fine. Its chewing up my shifter forks as well. I don't know if it falling out of 2nd is from the clutch or the fork being messed up.

·
11,583 Posts
1, With the clutch cable loose, HOW MUCH freeplay do you have at the clutch cover lever? Very important!

2, You will have one less steel then fibers.

3, Your Vetos springs may be to long and coil binding. Put six factory springs in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Each time I've reset it I give it like 1/8 at the case. I start with a nickels worth at the handlebars. Ive tried adjusting it both ways and just can't find where its happy.

Yes 8 fibers,7 disks, tried with and without the judder spring

My inner basket only has 5 springs. What aftermarket ones have 6?

·
11,583 Posts
My bad, five springs. I bet you have coil bind. Swap out to factory springs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ok. Doing that now. Unfortunately gotta wait for liquid gasket to set so ill update tomorrow if it changes.

·
11,583 Posts
Are you not using a gasket??... That could change the tolerance on the fit of the cover to case.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Got tired of buying gaskets for the side covers. Seems they always stick and rip if I gotta open it up. Didn't think of it making a huge difference.

·
11,583 Posts
It may not make a difference but then again...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
After much searching I came across something that may be causing me issues. Does this sound like I could have overtightened the nut that holds the boss/basket?

·
11,583 Posts
IDK about the 660, I do recall something about that on the 700.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So I got my clutch back from what I can tell at least in the garage. Its late tonight so ill test tomorrow. Problem was the nut on the boss/basket was too tight and binding them together causing it always being engaged. My kids broke my 1/2 torque bar so I been trying to get by without it. Broke down today and just went and got a new digi bar. Seemed to make the difference.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts