Raptor Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Would love to hear the story of how the kids broke your torque wrench. Lol. How many belt lashings did they get? Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
They unscrewed the bottom pieces and lost them and beat on the top end like it was a hammer. Still works as a breaker bar but no longer clicks when at right torque.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ok so testing it out today. Shifts fine. Doesn't creep with clutch in anymore. However top of first gets real Jerky and 2nd just wants to fall out back to neutral. 3rd on she rips perfectly. I'm guessing its my shift fork. Maybe someone can chime in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
When I last split the case i noticed the two shift forks on the shaft together had some wear marks. The gears looked good though, no rounding on the dogs that I could tell.
Can someone tell me which fork is responsible for 2nd gear? I'd like to try just replacing that fork alone and see if it fixes it.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,584 Posts
Go on the Rocky Mountain Atv site and bring up the breakdown of the trans and shift forks. It should tell you what fork is for second.
Don't just check the dogs, look at the windows too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I just got it all back together >< ill be sure to check the windows when I open it open again.
I'll look at rocky mountain. Partzilla does not tell me which shift fork is which. 2nd is the only problem gear so I just wanted to try that one first.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Ok so split it again tonight. Looking at what parts to get. Again 2nd is the only problem gear really. Rest had no problems.
@DEZPERADO I broke down the transmission to inspect. The teeth on all the gears look perfect. None are rounded or cracked/broken. They look like new. The shift drum looks in good shape. The shaft with the pinion gears all looked good on dogs/windows. The other shaft i did find some wear on the dogs of gear 3rd wheel (18 on diagram) and on the windows of gear 5th wheel (21 on diagram) that it mates to. I don't have any problems with these gears though. Below are pictures. Also pics of the forks but I already have replacements coming for those. Could the forks alone in the shape they cause my second to completely drop out of gear as soon as I touch the gas? I can put it in second and barely touch it and it goes but 1/4 throttle it slips out. I'm able to let off the gas and shift from 1st to 3rd no issues and it rides great. Just not second.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
One other thing. I happen to notice that I'm missing a washer that goes between the bearing and 1st gear on the drive shaft. Its the very first thing on the shaft from the clutch side of the case. I don't know if this would be causing my issue but I'm sure its not helping. I know its a long shot but would anyone happen to have the dimensions of that washer?

·
11,584 Posts
You're shift forks look bad and the missing washer will definitely cause problems.

Reactions: 4stroker4life

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ya I got replacements coming for the forks and washer. If I'm not having trouble with 3rd/5th gear I could go by reusing those gears?

·
11,584 Posts
As long as the gears look good and you didn't have any problems with them, use them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The little bit of wear is shown in the pictures. 3rd/5th gear is the only ones that have any wear and I was not having problems with them at all. The only problem was second gear.
Ok ill reuse those and have the replacement forks and washer on the way.
Thanks dez

·
11,584 Posts
I'm just looking at small pics, not the gears in my hand. If you think they are bad, replace them. It's easier to do them now, then split the cases again. Just sayen!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
With that total rebuild I just did and now the forks i would really rather not replace them. Honestly it's easier to split the case again then to come up with another 150 for two gears at this time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Got the replacement shift forks and washer. Wanted to report my issue with slipping out of second is fixed. It shifts through all gears good and the slip/stutter is gone. Maybe now after all this crap I can finally go riding again. Thanks guys for the guidance. This forum has been there through me rebuilding everything on this bike except the rear end so far. Next to tackle is the shot swing arm bearings and to find a new axle as the PO welded both the back hubs 😣😣

·
Master of the Electron
15,136 Posts
Glad to hear it! One previous owner's neglected fix at a time... eventually you'll have a like new quad.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts