Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
clutch sticking when i first start the bike

Clutch doesn't disengage when I first put in gear I have to hold the brakes and turn the motor over till the clutch plates break free after that works fine I'm running rotella t3 15-w40 new clutch kit and clutch basket

·
Registered
5 Posts
clutch sticking when i first start the bike

Clutch doesn't disengage when I first put in gear I have to hold the brakes and turn the motor over till the clutch plates break free after that works fine I'm running rotella t3 15-w40 new clutch kit and clutch basket
New clutch?
Old clutch?
New problem?
Just started?
You need to give details.
New clutch?
Old clutch?
New problem?
Just started?
You need to give details.
Bought mine in the Fall, just got out to ride. Didn't notice it before but now I do. Does have fresh 10w40 synthetic yamalube in it. All I need to do is ride it around yard once and it's fine.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
So you don't know the condition of the clutch then.
Are you riding it as soon as you start it, or are you giving it a couple munutes to warm up?
If it works normally after riding it a short distance, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
When they sit, oil drains out of the clutch pack and the plates stick together. What I gather from your description is perfectly normal. You could try warming it up longer, working the lever a few times before putting it in gear, and a lighter oil like a 10-40 or 5-40.

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Master of the Electron
15,417 Posts
In your case it may be the 40 that needs to go lower also... a 10-40 oil, for example, has viscosity of 10 equivalent at 0 degrees and 40 equivalent at running temp. You want it thinner at ambient temps, well above 0, so try lowering to a 5-30 and see if that helps. Not normal, but your clutch is perhaps marginally too thick or somehow sticking... After running the thinner oil for a while, switch back to normal 10-40 and see if the issue has gone away.

Reactions: Bart

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm no stranger to toys, it's just that of all the machines that I've owned and driven for about 40 years, I've never encountered this issue.

·
Master of the Electron
15,417 Posts
Raptor clutch plates have been known to drag when cold...

Reactions: t web2007 and Bart
1 - 11 of 11 Posts