Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some reading on this subject, but I'd like some more input.

Will I need to upgrade the clutch for this build:

102mm 11:1 Piston
S2HC
CT Pipe
Mild Head Port
No Lid/K&N

If so, do I need to go all out? I really don't like the though of dropping all that cash on a full hinson clutch setup.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
your stock clutch will hold that setup just fine, unless its already worn.

That said, I highly recommend you replace the stock clutch basket, I have repaired several motors with broken clutch baskets, most with no internal engine mods other than a piston and cam. I recommend the GYT-R basket but I did install a Moose basket that a customer brought to me, it looked to be a quality made part and the guy said he found it on ebay for 80 bucks, I looked and didn't see any for that price but he said they show up on there for that price every now and then.

·
Registered
135 Posts
what are the symptoms of a broken clutch basket guys ?
mine is making noise when I let out the clutch, much louder than previously, clutch still works fine though, no clutch slipping etc ?
Just trying to investgate mine further...
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
350 Posts
raptor_rider said:
what are the symptoms of a broken clutch basket guys ?
mine is making noise when I let out the clutch, much louder than previously, clutch still works fine though, no clutch slipping etc ?
Just trying to investgate mine further...
thanks in advance.
Mine is doing the same thing! Is also getting f'n hard to find neutral and when I shift it shifts really hard..... wtf is it?? lol

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
you guys both need to pull the clutch covers off (it can be done with the motor still in the frame) and look at the baskets. You both describe symptoms of a broken basket. You should see missing or broken dogs on the basket itself. The oil pump gear is plastic, and is directly next to the basket, if a tooth is broken off the basket, it will often wipe out the oil pump gear as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
cheers, will check it out :thumbsup: thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
CoalShedRacing said:
you guys both need to pull the clutch covers off (it can be done with the motor still in the frame) and look at the baskets. You both describe symptoms of a broken basket. You should see missing or broken dogs on the basket itself. The oil pump gear is plastic, and is directly next to the basket, if a tooth is broken off the basket, it will often wipe out the oil pump gear as well.

Oh :eek:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are 4 pieces to the clutch that GYTR offers:

Clutch Basket
Inner Hub
Pressure Plate
Clutch Kit

Would I benefit from anything besides the clutch basket? If I'm going to be in there, I might as well replace everything I would need to... but then again I don't want to buy anything I don't need.

Does the clutch kit offer more aggressive engagement?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The clutch kit is the fibers and steels along with 5 stiffer springs. You would benefit from the clutch kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts