Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I got a 660 raptor second hand that has been sitting for 5 years... got all the breaks and throttle freed up The starter clutch is gone so I attempted to bump start it to see if it would go. But when I put it in gear going down hill and slip the clutch the back wheels lock up is that a clutch issue or is the engine seized ?
thanks Owen

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello
I got a 660 raptor second hand that has been sitting for 5 years... got all the breaks and throttle freed up The starter clutch is gone so I attempted to bump start it to see if it would go. But when I put it in gear going down hill and slip the clutch the back wheels lock up is that a clutch issue or is the engine seized ?
thanks Owen
Put it on neutral and find a ratchet with a ⅞ socket on the stator cover remove the center cap on the stator cover,take the spark plug off and with the ratchet go counterclockwise it should go kinda a little bit hard,compression tigh wise I mean.... if its locked up the ratchet won't move at all....maybe some else will chime in soon.... good luck

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put it on neutral and find a ratchet with a ⅞ socket on the stator cover remove the center cap on the stator cover,take the spark plug off and with the ratchet go counterclockwise it should go kinda a little bit hard,compression tigh wise I mean.... if its locked up the ratchet won't move at all....maybe some else will chime in soon.... good luck

Thank you I will try that !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Tryed turning her over, she turns over good do u think it could be a clutch issue ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Tryed turning her over, she turns over good do u think it could be a clutch issue ?
More than likely Yes!!!! Raptor's are notorious for braking the 2nd gear,as a matter of fact I'm going through the process right now of splitting cases and putting in a decent set of used cases I bought on Ebay,and a 2002 660r transmission the whole thing,because my transmission is making a crazy noise on 2nd gear....it runs but once I hit second gear its noise time.... for your situation also check your oneway bearing and starter clutch make sure they're still good....keep trying and reach out to others that know waaaay more than I do.... I know a little bit but some people here in this forum are the best of the best..... You're in the right place to ask questions!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More than likely Yes!!!! Raptor's are notorious for braking the 2nd gear,as a matter of fact I'm going through the process right now of splitting cases and putting in a decent set of used cases I bought on Ebay,and a 2002 660r transmission the whole thing,because my transmission is making a crazy noise on 2nd gear....it runs but once I hit second gear its noise time.... for your situation also check your oneway bearing and starter clutch make sure they're still good....keep trying and reach out to others that know waaaay more than I do.... I know a little bit but some people here in this forum are the best of the best..... You're in the right place to ask questions!!!!!

Thank you ! I’ve got a new one way clutch bearing for the starter on the way and a new clutch cable and chain when that comes I’ll see if it’s any better
Thanks !

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thank you ! I’ve got a new one way clutch bearing for the starter on the way and a new clutch cable and chain when that comes I’ll see if it’s any better
Thanks !
No problem,I hope that solves you problem with your bike.... Like I said Im not a professional at this but I know just enough!!!! Be safe

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hello
thanks Owen
What gear are you in trying to bump start? Pavement or dirt?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks !
There you go 38fitters helped me out a whole bunch!!! He knows more than I do!!!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,045 Posts
Hello
thanks Owen
You can't just slip the clutch. Get rolling about 10MPH in high gear, standing on the pegs, with the clutch held in, key and gas on. Quickly let the clutch lever go, some throttle, and at the same time, slam your butt down on the seat. You may have to do it a few times to get the motor turning. Be ready to back off the throttle when it starts and pull the clutch in.

·
Registered
529 Posts
This^
Roll starting an engine that was just turned off can be a hassle sometimes(traction).
But on a cold engine, lol, good luck, as it usually takes a few try's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This^
Roll starting an engine that was just turned off can be a hassle sometimes(traction).
But on a cold engine, lol, good luck, as it usually takes a few try's.
Cheers hoopfuly when the one way clutch for the starter arrives it will work all good, thanks for the help !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts