Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, great forum. I just bought my first Raptor and I have a clutch question. When I start it in gear with the clutch in, it tries to move, like the clutch is partially engaged. Once it is running, the clutch disengages. Tried adjusting the cable at the lever and at the linkage. No help. Any suggestions? By the way, it is a 2004 660R. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry to not be able to answer you but just to let you know it`s been said best to only start in n to save the 1way starter clutch . I try to never start in gear unless it`s emerg like if I stall out and have people around me and need to get it started quick without haveing to stop. I find my self strarting in 1st sometimes but i try not to. you said you try adjusting both ways at both ends. I can only thank of the 1way causeing this possiable but i have not anof trouble knowledge to suggest what it is. Make sure all your cable adjustments are right double tripple cheack if that dont solve it than you prob need to take side cover off and inspect 1way clutch and clutch pack. All this can be done without haveing to take it to the shop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, it is not a goo idea to start in gear, but once I noticed what it is doing, it bothers me. I just downloaded a manual, so I will double check the cable adjustments again. I have noticed that if I start it in neutral, then put it in 1st with the clutch still in, it will jump forward slightly. I am sure that is not normal, but it really seems like an adjustment issue, so I will try again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to adjust the cable again, no help. Removed the side cover and everything seems to be in good shape, except I smell fuel in the oil. Does anyone know if fuel in the oil will cause this problem? I am wondering if the fuel could be absorbed into the clutch friction material and cause it to "grab". Just a thought, but I hate to replace an otherwise good clutch and find out that was not the problem. I think I read somewhere in this forum that it is a fairly common problem to have fuel in the oil if you don't shut the fuel off when you park the machine. Is that correct? Again, thanks for an info you can offer.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I dont know about the fuel in the oil hope someone answers quick. Which cover and what did you inspect? make sure to check the one way starter clutch to. I cant really give much tech advice im to new but thangs that come in mind is that when u go from n to 1st and it jumps it could be 1 out of adjustment 2 maybe the 1way or the clutch pack. The best thang to do is read the manule real good troubleshoot as much as you can. If you cant tell is the clutch/1way is bad double check it with a certafied yamaha tech at a dealer If you cant solve it by adjustments and the 1way the clutch and clutch disc/plates seem to be good and all the gears that can be seen behind the covers are good than My only other idea would be inside the case where the tranny is. I dont thank your prob would be in there and lets hope it is not. Hope some of the garuus jump on this topic and please reply soon. dont forget the 1 way starter clutch and clutch is sepreat and you will want to check both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the 1way starter clutch and where is it? I removed the clutch pack, cleaned, and reoiled it. I did not see and problems with any of it though. I am putting it back together now. I have not seen anything about the 1way in the manuel, but I will look again.

·
Registered
735 Posts
oil viscosity...its not the same temp at start. causes plates in the clutch to catch. i ALWAYS start in gear, never had a prob. fuel in oil...many things, fuel from carbs durring transport drain into cylnder, rings arent hot, not providing good seal, fuel goes right past into the oil. or bad rings....I shut off the fuel and run it dry. before transporting.

·
Registered
343 Posts
danos660r said:
oil viscosity...its not the same temp at start. causes plates in the clutch to catch. i ALWAYS start in gear, never had a prob. fuel in oil...many things, fuel from carbs durring transport drain into cylnder, rings arent hot, not providing good seal, fuel goes right past into the oil. or bad rings....I shut off the fuel and run it dry. before transporting.
mine will lurch when the quad is cold. stops when it gets hot. if yours is still doing it when it is hot you may have heated up the clutch plates. possibly an oil change could solve the problem

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
My Raptor only has about 10 hours on it, and mine lurches when I start it in gear. It's like the clutch doesn't want to fully disengage. I just figured it needed to be broken in or adjusted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I changed the pulled the clutch apart, cleaned it and put it back together. Inspected the 1-way clutch, and changed the oil. I really did not find anything wrong with any of it, but it seems to be slightly better now. Still lurches, but like several of you have stated, I guess that is normal. Oh well, I have never changed a clutch, so now I know how. I rode it all day yesterday, and it did fine when it was hot, so I will quit worrying about it. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hey thanks for bring the info back up. and thanks for the heads up. I bought the raptor used so Im not 100% on how many hours was one it before I got it. But I know since I have gotten I have probably 30 hours or more on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts