Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about the DynoJet Quick Shifter, and was wondering if I could upshift manually without the clutch? If so, is this bad for the tranny or anything?

TIA

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to search and didn't see anything. I will try again I guess, and see if that will answer my tranny question.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's fine to cluchless shift. But I would only do it in high RPM ranges.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I did searching and can't seem to find anything about it. Maybe I am searching the wrong words. Can someone explain how it is possible to do this, is it the cut of the gears? It is bad on the tranny?

·
Registered
644 Posts
It's perfectly fine. The trick is to match the ratios in the trans when shifting. Like when shifting up a gear, put just a little pressure in the shifter and let off the gas... it will go right in, no problem. If u do it right. You can do it down shifting too, except you have to blip the throttle before going down (to bring the rpms of the smaller cog upto speed of the main shaft before engaging it). It sounds more complicated than it is, but it's easy. I rarely use the clutch in anything (even my jap cars).

Be honest, all of the truckers on the road only use to clutch to start and to stop. And they don't even need it to stop!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. That was what I was looking for. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's strange...

I could have sworn there were several topics on clutchless upshifts... But now I can't find them either!

Anyway, as I recall, most people agreed that it was fine to upshift without the clutch. Not everyone agreed that downshifting was safe, however... I don't know, I'm just passing on information! 8)

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
BigGixxerJim said:
It's perfectly fine. The trick is to match the ratios in the trans when shifting. Like when shifting up a gear, put just a little pressure in the shifter and let off the gas... it will go right in, no problem. If u do it right. You can do it down shifting too, except you have to blip the throttle before going down (to bring the rpms of the smaller cog upto speed of the main shaft before engaging it). It sounds more complicated than it is, but it's easy. I rarely use the clutch in anything (even my jap cars).

Be honest, all of the truckers on the road only use to clutch to start and to stop. And they don't even need it to stop!
That is true of automotive clutches, but with our bikes it is way easier than that. You have to remember we have a wet clutch in the atv it is not the same as a car or truck.

Just let of the gas and shift. It is a piece of cake and I have never had a problem with my tranny. That is all the quick shifter is doing...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
sangue_e_Tripas said:
That's strange...

I could have sworn there were several topics on clutchless upshifts... But now I can't find them either!

Anyway, as I recall, most people agreed that it was fine to upshift without the clutch. Not everyone agreed that downshifting was safe, however... I don't know, I'm just passing on information! 8)
I for one am not a fan of clutchless Downshifting!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
in case you didn't know motorcycles have the most syncronized gear ratios of any motor vehicle,just hammer it wide open,lift to 3/4 throttle and twitch ur big toe on the shifter and hammer the throttle again,you only need to take off some of the pull with the throttle control to switch the gear, i have done it for 20 years on 3 wheelers/street bikes/dirtbikes and now my 700.......... it's night and day difference when you power shift, its kinda like flat shiftin a racecar. 8) 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is good info. Thanks guys! I will try this at the dunes next weekend.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
well to down shift it wont really work because your sliders are always engaged in a gear and wont really allow you to do it, you can try to force it but may end up breaking shit,i wouldn't do it, if it was like a car or truck where you have to pass through nuetral it is very attainable but not on any motorcycle,doesent work because due to being constantly meshed you can't rev it while crossing nuetral to match road speed with rpm's for the next lower gear........

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
sangue_e_Tripas said:
What about downshifting without the clutch, then?
Just let off the gas first and it will shift no problem. I always shift down without the clutch with climing dunes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts