Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experrience with the co2 tire inflators. I saw a couple of them on rocky mountain atv, but I have yet to see one in person. This past weekend I was at glamis and one of my rear rims is bent. It had a slow leak and I would have loved to have one of the handy. I was in the middle of nowhere and realized my tire had like 1psi in it. How many tires could you air up with lets say a 16g cartrige. Is it enough to seat a bead? For the price they seem really convenient (sp?).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes..they are a great tool to have with you. I have a friend who rolled his arctic cat 650 about 4 times, popping both right tires off the rim, with a lil work the co2 sealed the tires on the rims and we were back on the road...was worth a million bucks that day, and surprised all of us how well they worked.-worthy investment. Of course we work in the mines and had about 30 spare co2 cannisters with us, take extra.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We use the co2 tire inflators with our group. Seems we use them often, and I swear by those kits.
I don't know if they are the 16s, I almost think they are 12s? Anyways, if a tire blows a bead, it takes one full cartridge and about half the second to reseat it.
The cartridges are kinda expensive at the motorcycle dealerships. We found that we could go to the local bicycle shop, and buy in bulk. Turns out that they are about a dollar each compared to three dollars.

DJ

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good information. I am definitely going to have to get some for our next ride. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Get the cartridges at sporting good shops - or even some large general merchandise places. Even cheaper there in the 25 packs. I think I paid $7 for a 25 pack....
They are super convenient, but have one limitation: Once a cartridge is pierced, it's done. When you're out of cartridges, you're done.
So we always take one compact mountain bike hand pump in the group as well. They take forever to air up, but do not run out...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Oh, and definitely get the kind of inflator that uses the UNTHREADED cartridges. These are usually a plastic housing so they take up more space than the simple screw on tube, but the threaded cartridges are much more expensive.

·
Registered
348 Posts
mws is right on the money. Just a suggestion, get an inflater that can use both the 16g carts and the 12g carts and threaded/unthreaded. Mine uses all of these and was only about 15 bucks. mws is also right on as far as a source being sporting goods stores, wal-mart sells 5, 15, and 25 packs of unthreaded 12 g carts cheap. I keep 4 with me at all times. a 16 will take you to about 3.5-4 psi 2 12 will give you about 5-6(depends on altitude and temperature)

·
Registered
767 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts