Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have added a lot of stickers to my plastic and graphics. Is anyone coating theirs with anything so they dont come off from washing or just plainly peeling?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
hand wash!!!! a power washer will blow them off.. but i guess you could spray a general clear coat paint on it...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont power wash as it is. But with riding and minor wear and tear stickers tend to peel anyway. I had been thinking about the clearcoat but wanna do it myself. Any brands anyone would recommend?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just curious how you plan to go about this? Are you wanting to clearcoat the decals and the quad plastic in one shot, or just the decals? If they are mfg'd and installed right, they won't come off. Most bike/quad decals worth much are clear-coated with a durable film laminate when mfg'd and that's the end of it. I ask because I make signs and decals, so I fully understand the process, but am a little unclear as to your intentions.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think he is planning on spraying the clear coat over the sticker that are already on the plastic.... thinking that the clear coat might serve as a kind of glue around the edges of the stickers to help hold them down....
i assume...

Plattner

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My intention is to create a protective coating over everything I have added to my plastic. I have had too many problems in the past with not only cheap stickers but quality stickers peeling or looking terrible. Mud collects easily around the edges, the stickers peel up and they scrape easily. I have put a lot of time and money into my machine and would like to help prevent those things. If this is a bad idea for any reason I would like input.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I dont see clear coat working......for one its plastic (you would need to add a flex agent, such as Bulldog, etc.) and two there is nothing for clear to adhese too (if your refering to a automotive clear coat)

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Don't want to step on any toes, but
Stunpunkjames is absolutely right, must be a sign guy thing. I also manufacter and paint/vinyl signs. You'd have to scuff the surface to get the clear to stick, steel wool or scotchbrite. That will F your stickers all up. :( Might I suggest that you start with an absolutely clean and dry surface, I actually use carb cleaner (ONLY on my quad, not on signs:grin_nod:), sounds crazy but it works, denatured alchohol also works. What is the plan after you wipe out and you fender wrinkles, the clear will crack and peel. I'll be the first to say I'm wrong if it works, but in my experience, you can not paint/clearcoat unless you do several prep steps, one of which is roughing the surface. At this point I think your best bet is to peel your stickers and buy new. Clean the surface with a moisture absorbing substance (alchohol, carb cleaner) and re-apply. I have lots of stickers (sign grade vinyl) and I powerwash after every ride!!! One sticker started to lift, where it got whacked by a BF branch on the trail. In theory, if you really want to clearcoat your machine you might get away with roughing the fenders, stickin' the vinyl, then clearing it. :thumbsup: Maybe the clear would hide the roughing scratches, it does wonders on auto body panels? :confused: :grin_nod:

·
Registered
841 Posts
SandDragon said:
Don't want to step on any toes, but
Stunpunkjames is absolutely right, must be a sign guy thing. I also manufacter and paint/vinyl signs. You'd have to scuff the surface to get the clear to stick, steel wool or scotchbrite. That will F your stickers all up. :( Might I suggest that you start with an absolutely clean and dry surface, I actually use carb cleaner (ONLY on my quad, not on signs:grin_nod:), sounds crazy but it works, denatured alchohol also works. What is the plan after you wipe out and you fender wrinkles, the clear will crack and peel. I'll be the first to say I'm wrong if it works, but in my experience, you can not paint/clearcoat unless you do several prep steps, one of which is roughing the surface. At this point I think your best bet is to peel your stickers and buy new. Clean the surface with a moisture absorbing substance (alchohol, carb cleaner) and re-apply. I have lots of stickers (sign grade vinyl) and I powerwash after every ride!!! One sticker started to lift, where it got whacked by a BF branch on the trail. In theory, if you really want to clearcoat your machine you might get away with roughing the fenders, stickin' the vinyl, then clearing it. :thumbsup: Maybe the clear would hide the roughing scratches, it does wonders on auto body panels? :confused: :grin_nod:
Automotive clear coat would deff. not hide scratches, it will make them stand out twice as bad.....my opnion if you ride trails alot theres really nothing you can do to protect the graphics....again my .02

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
He could try putting that clear stick on rubber over his plastics. I think boom said he did that on his 450 and his did a good job for him.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the facts and opinions, I had thought about the plastic bending and didnt think it would effect it too much. I have clear coated things before but never anything on a quad. Main reason I am curious about all this is because I recently took my machine apart. I have the plastics all cleaned and in one spot and if I was going try it the time would be now. I had been thinking about testing a piece out to see how it works but dont think I'm gonna now. I am still kind of curious about some of this though.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Automotive clear coat would deff. not hide scratches, it will make them stand out twice as bad.....my opnion if you ride trails alot theres really nothing you can do to protect the graphics....again my .02

SP James-- I was being sarcastic :confused:, The scratches would show like hell. I still think your best bet would be clean dry surface then stick and pray. :grin_nod: In my experience, stickers are cheap, buy a couple, if it gets ratty peel and put new on. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts