Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 660 is real hard to start in the cold i have jets slip on hmf drilled air box lid aftermarket filter do you think i have a mis adjusted choke or bad plug? my buddy drove it a bout a mile or two from his house with the choke all the way on he forgot to take it off ? any ideals?

·
Registered
735 Posts
its been in the teens here, mid choke and one turn over, Im running. I bet it is because it is jetted really rich. An aftermaket CDi makes em really hard to start

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I think you guys missed the part about his budding riding around with the choke on. ::)

If your buddy rode around with the choke on he fouled your plug. I'm sure a new plug will solve your situation.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i will replace the plug some times it is hard to start in the cold should i turn the fuel mixture srewa in 1/2 turn

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Colder weather equates to higher air density... higher density air makes you jetting from warm weather lean in the cold. So you may need two different jetting setups... one for winter, one for summer.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i replaced the plug and still no start here is what i found out. if i take the plug out and try starting it it will not fire until i let off the start switch and some times it might spark once i tried turning over the motor while i had a test light in the orange wire that goes to the coil never blinked once. i tested the resetance of the coil and it was 0.01 but it was 30 something degress .im thinking that its some thing in the wiring but it is funny that it was running and wont start back. i need to know what to do next. somebody please help me. john

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I believe the cdi has a seperate starting and running circuit, can someone confirm this?
You might be able to turn the ignition on and put a jumper cable to the starter side of the starter relay, this might turn the motor and allow the cdi to use the run portion of the circuit rather than the starting portion. Thats assuming it seperates the two.
Do you have the manual? It has a detailed section of electrical diagnostics.

This doesn't mean you need a cdi, just guessing here.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
should i have a flashing signal coming into thecoil from the pickup im trying to run it down.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If you're getting a good signal into the coil but not spark at the plug then your coil is bad. Yeah, the singal should be fluttering because it's the pulses that are being transferred to the plug. That's the same wire you would hook a kill switch to.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if i take a test light and probe the connector into the coil will it flash? does yours? mine dont what should i do next?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Oh I thought you said yours did.

Yes, if everything is normal, there should be a flashing signal going into the coil from the starter relay.

So that means your problem is upstream. I would check the starter relay for proper operation. Check first to see that the relay is getting power. Relays do go bad, the contactors tend to corrode over time.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the battery has over 12 volts and no grounds have been bothered. it was fine then it wouldnt start. if i try to to start it turns over but no fire until i let off the start button then sometimes it throws a little spark to the plug. dont it go to the cdi next? wouldnt that be the next thing to test? or does the relay have something to do with it? it turns over fine

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Coil inspection
primary side, hot lead to ground, 0.18 to 0.28 ohms at 70 degs
secondary side, hot lead to plug wire, 6.32 to 9.48 kOhms

AC magneto
unplug the 4 wire plug , white I think, just above the carbs on the left side, the wires can be traced down to the cover by the oneway.
Positive lead to the white/red and negative lead to the white/green wire, meter should read 445 to 545 ohms
step 2
positive lead to the red and negative lead to the white/blue
0.069 to 0.085 ohms

If the wiring harness checks out it leaves the cdi.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok thanks ill check it tommorrow it will be colder than that so will i have more or less ohms?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts