Raptor Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
and for another thing my choke i belive my choke is a little off can i have a pic of the adjustment. or how to adjust it while im at it

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
firstraptor said:
Coil inspection
primary side, hot lead to ground, 0.18 to 0.28 ohms at 70 degs
secondary side, hot lead to plug wire, 6.32 to 9.48 kOhms

AC magneto
unplug the 4 wire plug , white I think, just above the carbs on the left side, the wires can be traced down to the cover by the oneway.
Positive lead to the white/red and negative lead to the white/green wire, meter should read 445 to 545 ohms
step 2
positive lead to the red and negative lead to the white/blue
0.069 to 0.085 ohms

If the wiring harness checks out it leaves the cdi.

on the coil i had .003 on the red lead on the hot side of the coil. black lead on the neg side. i had nothing on the black lead on the hot side of the coil and the red lead on the spack plug wire . but it was 41 degrees farenheit outside it might be my meter but i dont know. that info leads to the coil. but i still dont have a signal going to the coil with a test light?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
firstraptor said:
AC magneto
unplug the 4 wire plug , white I think, just above the carbs on the left side, the wires can be traced down to the cover by the oneway.
Positive lead to the white/red and negative lead to the white/green wire, meter should read 445 to 545 ohms
step 2
0.069 to 0.085 ohms
the first part of the acmagneto checks out but the seconcond part just shows .001 ohms.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
raptsson said:
on the coil i had .003 on the red lead on the hot side of the coil. black lead on the neg side. i had nothing on the black lead on the hot side of the coil and the red lead on the spack plug wire . but it was 41 degrees farenheit outside it might be my meter but i dont know. that info leads to the coil. but i still dont have a signal going to the coil with a test light?
Sorry, not the clearest writing on my part.
The coil at .003, do you have the meter set at ohms X1 or ohms X100. If you were at X100 that would explain the .003, it would actually have been .3 if you were on the wrong scale.

The incorrect part I wrote is the positive lead of the meter goes to the power side of the coil, (orange wire?) and the negative goes to the plug wire. This should be with the meter set at X1000.

I wouldn't be to concerned about the temp, you might check the last time you put a battery in the meter, since your checking resistance your relying (sp) on the battery for the power, if it,s over a year old it may be time for a new one.

As for the signal going to the coil? I think it would be fairly quick you may not see it with a test light.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
raptsson said:
firstraptor said:
AC magneto
step 2
0.069 to 0.085 ohms
the first part of the acmagneto checks out but the seconcond part just shows .001 ohms.
Again, more incomplete info on my part.
The meter needs to be at ohms X100,
If you were on the correct scale I'd recheck the second part. There was a thread simillare to this and the guy ended up with a bad rotation decetion coil, thats the part your checking. I looked for the thread couldn't find it, I'll look again. Maybe he'll have some info from personal experience.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
ok i broke down today and went to the bike shop and they said it is the cdi. so im going to get one. but i have a prob. my bike doesent have a revlimiter in reverse but it aint the grounded wire job. my light still works in reverse. is that because i have an aftermarket cdi. the cdi i have has a mitsubishi symbol and the numbers 5lp-00
f8t37971 0z12

exterior>pbt<
interior>pur<

that is what is on the face of my cdi. you think it is aftermarket or stock? if it is stock has something been done to keep it from cutting out in reverse? i need help befor i buy. thanks.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Rumor has it that the 01 either didn't have a reverse rev limiter or there was a change mid year on the cdi for the 01 and the models released late int eh year had one. This is what I've read on the web.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts